Three piece 3/8 fuel line installation

Ronniemac

I’m looking for some knowledge from the group. I’m restoring a 58 Belair and installing a performance 350 from GM in place of the 283 so I think a 3/8 fuel line instead of the 5/16 is prudent. I purchased a three piece SS line kit from Classic Industries now I need to figure out the installation. I have figured out how the piece to the gas tank mounts and that the long piece mounts to the inside of the rocker panel. The piece to the fuel pump has got me baffled. Any help or picture of how the entire line is mounted would be appreciated

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you have a 58 assembly manual, it will be there in a drawing I would guess. 58’s are a one year only for many things, 59 up the forward line passed outside the frame rail at about the starter area, then under the upper control arm.
Maybe post a pic of that piece of line? Or a 58 expert may jump in here.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You need the fine thread hex bolts -your frame(from picture above I see one of them) is factory drilled for the fine thread hex bolts for the clamps that hold portions of the fuel line. RagTP66 can confirm how many places. The fine thread hex nuts are also normally also used to mount factory exhaust system mounts like these for a 58 and 59 using factory drilled holes in the frame.
https://show-cars.com/product/2855

here are the new fine thread hex nuts -or reuse the originals (if not pitted ) I zinc plate originals if not pitted
https://show-cars.com/product/2771

Paul

Ronniemac

Does anyone have a picture of the 3/8 fuel line ( three piece) that goes from the tank over the frame and then connects to the piece that runs down the inside the rocker panel? The assembly manual isn’t a lot of help.

Ronniemac

I have certainly learned a valuable lesson. I wiil never buy prebent lines of any kind again. It’s better to spend the money and buy a good flairing kit and a roll of stainless tubing and bend your own brake and fuel lines. I’m sure a lot of you already know that. The only disadvantage is not having the ability to make close radius bends that a mandrel makes.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Not sure why you are having trouble with prebent fuel lines. I have installed 9 sets of prebent fuel and brake lines(all stainless) on 9 frame off and frame on restorations with only minimal correction's. All mine are on 61 to 64's (most are 62's) that all have the same frame.

I never buy any fuel lines from Classic Industries - They are Inline Tube lines or Fine Lines prebent lines.
Where your 58 lines from one of these two manufacturer's ?
Paul

Ronniemac

Well I have moved on to the body restoration now. The interior of the car is now void of all parts except the headliner. The good news is I don’t have to replace any floor pans. Only have surface rust to cleanup and paint with rust preventative. I am in the process of preparing the firewall for a coat matching paint. At that point I can install the interior firewall insulation pad and build my wiring harness from my Painless Wiring kit, then install my Dakota Digital dash. From there I will complete the tail end wiring harness, install sound deadening, headliner, and seats. May be a good plan but lots of details included in each of those time consuming steps.

I do have a question. Does anyone know where to buy quarter glass rubber seal that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? Remember this is a 58 4door sedan.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Auto City Classis has everything 58 but not sure if anybody has rubber for 4 door sedan.