Tilt steering column install

Skip's 61

I am converting 1961 Impala from automatic transmission to 4 on the floor. In doing so I am also replacing the steering column with an aftermarket tilt column.
Can anyone out there give me some pointers as to what column I should go with (ididit, flaming river, etc.) and what kind of trouble I can get into?

Silversport 63

Well Known Member
I put a no name after market colum in my 63 the only problem I came across was the pig tail my car had a dual half circle plug and the colum had a straight one so I had to convert it cop has what you need I bought one from pol and it didn't work and they don't answer for return don't buy from them

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm curious how this goes for you. There are some really inexpensive floor shift columns out there right now. As I recall, many of the aftermarket columns would not allow you to use your factory steering wheel. I ended up finding an original floor shift column but a tilt would be nice. I'm guessing folks were much smaller back in 61! :hide

Silversport 63

Well Known Member
Yea I'm a short guy so I don't have your problem lol but there's a few places that have the adapter I got a cheap tilt column with the I didn't apdaer and a quarter inch spacer ring and my factory wheel is on truck shop in orange county ca has everything you need to do it

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
About 12 years ago I bought a 63 ss small block car as a parts car that was complete but had been in a flood so the motor in it was trash and the car needed work but I bought it anyway only because it was a factory 4 gear car and still had the muncie in it but as it turned out it had a factory 63 tilt and a 336 posi in it also so well worth the 2k I paid. After rebuilding the trans and flushing the rear the car now sports a 409 and was saved from the crushers. Yes 63 tilts are hard to find and I ( heard) 63 and 64 are different something about opening around turn signal lever? But idk

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I'd like to add a tilt to my 64 project, sounds like aftermarket is going to be the main choice.

I want to think my old 64 SS 4 speed 409 had PS and tilt as about the only options.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I believe the ‘64 column where the steering wheel attaches is a little larger in diameter than the ‘63. Either year column will interchange with 63-64 Car. If 63-64 has a tach dash, there should be a cutout in column for the tach to fit with the tilt column.

Fuzz

MAGA

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In 2008 i bought a 63 SS that had a tilt in it and I figured it was from a different car as I thought 65 was the first year for these but nope it turned out out it was original to that car and to top it off it has the tach notch. I have seen those things price all over the price but usually sell for a little over a grand but saw one a few weeks ago fetch 1700 and it didn't even have the lower shaft which is different from non tilt. It's still in the car but I need to replace the turn signal cable which I have but I just have to do it.