TIME FLIES

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For many reasons I did not hang on to my cars or bikes :doh There are a few I wish I had. I have only had the last impala 8 years, however I "think" its the last one. But never say never :D
My dad and one of his friends had 40 some cars and trucks at their place and one day they had them all crushed except my 62, the 65gmc, a 67 Chevy pickup and a 68 pickup. His reasoning was they were tired of people coming and stealing parts all the time when they weren’t home. I was around 5 or 6 years old at the time and I won’t ever forget that day watching all them cars being crushed.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My dad and one of his friends had 40 some cars and trucks at their place and one day they had them all crushed except my 62, the 65gmc, a 67 Chevy pickup and a 68 pickup. His reasoning was they were tired of people coming and stealing parts all the time when they weren’t home. I was around 5 or 6 years old at the time and I won’t ever forget that day watching all them cars being crushed.
They kept a GOOD one!!!

Junky

Well Known Member
Do you have a body by Fisher?? :D

My body is old, and there are no replacement parts available.. There are more than a few parts that have been rebuilt through the years, and most of the original parts no longer work the way that they were intended. Old age isn't all that it is cracked up to be. My doctor after he told me the bad news, said that I could live another 30 years with my "condition". I asked if I could get a guaranteed 20. He replied, I will see you next month, and we will know more by then. Next month became 3 months, then 6 months. I will know more in April. One day, one week, one month at a time. I hate getting old!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I have had my Corvette 47 years, BC and BW (before children and before wife), Lol :doh It seams like yesterday! :dunno My 62 SS I have had for 32 years and I bought my 72 Sportster new 48 years ago.
Steve......I bought a 1970 Sportster. A month of breaking it in....Candy and I rode it to Phoenix. Had to downsize in the early 2000's.
Loved Then Came Bronson!!!!!!!!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Me and 2 good friends built "Joint Venture" in 1968. We raced it all over The Isle of Long for many years.in the spring of 1972 I had the opportunity to purchase the car without the 331Ci race motor . My friend decided to build a 1970 Nova " CHEVROLUTION" and offered me the "JOINT VENTURE " I continued racing and car shows up to 1993.the car sat for about 8 years. My wife Giny and I decided to put a "W" engine in it and put it on the road in 2001. I still have the car to this day. So far it has ben 48 Years and counting.

07-16-2010 03_11_31pm_00.jpgPictureKodak easy share photos 725.jpgPictureKodak easy share photos 987.jpgPictureKodak easy share photos 1004.jpgPictureKodak easy share photos 1004.jpgPictureKodak easy share photos 840.jpg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Steve......I bought a 1970 Sportster. A month of breaking it in....Candy and I rode it to Phoenix. Had to downsize in the early 2000's.
Loved Then Came Bronson!!!!!!!!!

Told this before probably. Picked up my 70 Sportster in June. Got off work at 5pm and drove the100 miles to the dealer in Iowa Falls, Kelsey HD. They were out on a rock road in a couple of old hip roofed former chicken houses....no kidding, nothing like today. Gave them $1,640 and loaded the bike up, still in the packing crate and headed for home. My younger Brother and I put on the handlebars, tach, gauges, and I don't remember what else. It was way after midnight when we fired her up. Lived on the north side of town and it was 2 1/2 blocks to the south side of town and then another 1/2 block to the city limits. Brother was on the back, bike was broke in and I opened her up.........:flag Left for work the next morning around 6:30.....frigging raining.....went back after about a mile and got the trusty 60 Buick. Got the bike all filthy right away. I beat the crap out of that poor bike and it was jumping out of second gear by the end of the year, then in September of 71 I blew her up. I still have the Wilson leather jacket I bought in 1970 for $70

RIP Norm....would have been 67 this Sunday.

November is a bad month. Went in the ditch the Saturday after Thanksgiving 1966 in my nice 55 Pontiac, lighting a cigarette in the fog, hit a driveway and broke my jaw.:doh Didn't know smoking was bad for you back then. Might have been drinking too.:beer

Last edited:

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
when did they become amf built. my friend had a sportster that had amf on it. sometime between 70 and 72. jim

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
She says 69, I thought it was 71????

One thing I do know, 69 XLCH had magnetos and 70's had distributors. My buddies 69 ran way better than my 70.
Trying your best to forget all the good nostalgia stuff, do you remember how that 70 rode? When I moved up from my 66 XLCH, I never wanted to go back, both in ride and size comfort. However I do have a fondness for early sportsters to this day :good

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Trying your best to forget all the good nostalgia stuff, do you remember how that 70 rode? When I moved up from my 66 XLCH, I never wanted to go back, both in ride and size comfort. However I do have a fondness for early sportsters to this day :good

Hell I hadn't grown up yet. Not much to compare to.. First bike was a 53K Harley. I Probably only weighed 200 back then. Should have bought a big twin instead of the Sporty looking back.. After I blew it up I had it built from 55ci/60hp to 80 ci/100hp.....big time 2nd gear wheelies......fastest bike in town.

Last edited: