Timing cover

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Motor is installed in the car, any hints or suggestions to reinstall the timing cover. I removed the cover to upgrade the cam and now it doesn't want to slide back on, do I need to loosen the oil pan towards the front to try and drop it some, I really don't want to do that as I have good seal on the pan. Help.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Show us a picture of the back of the cover,,Tom.If it's anything like a small block,you can trim the "ears" some and eliminate the need to screw with the pan.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I also had a good seal on the pan and did not want to touch it. I trimmed on the cover the area that Don is talking about, and it helped, but could not get the cover on with a new pan seal. I tried with the old seal and a little rtv, but could still not get it on. I removed the pan seal and got that area of the cover clean and dry. Also cleaned the front of the pan really good. Brake clean or aerosol carb clean. I installed the cover with no seal. I got a fresh tube of Permatex Ultra Black and squeezed it into the seal area making sure it went in as far as possible. I let it set overnight and it turned out good, no leak. I have done that twice within the last 2 years, success both times. "Right Stuff" is another good product, but it was not available locally.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Can you pull the locating pin from the block then slide the cover in place and tap the pin back in. Just thinking out loud here. I think I remember that being part of the problem.