tires

iaco59

Well Known Member
putting new tires on my 59. now running corker basis. I don't have to explain the handling problems. is Radial's recommended? And I guess corker is the only place to get wide whites. Any suggestions?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Diamond Back Classics also sells all kinds of classic car radial tires.
They have free shipping on a set of tires right now.
I have radials on my 62’s from Diamond Back Classics

DreamChevy64

Well Known Member
putting new tires on my 59. now running corker basis. I don't have to explain the handling problems. is Radial's recommended? And I guess corker is the only place to get wide whites. Any suggestions?
I agree with PVS 409. I have Diamond Backs now great bang for your buck. Great ride no complaints and they will make anything you request regarding whitewalls sizes. Shipping was fast from what I recall going on 3 years now no issues. Make sure your tire shop adds the extended tire valve if your running original rims with factory hubcap.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 68745741863__991FA16F-9107-40AB-8D70-982B67A6860A.jpeg
    68745741863__991FA16F-9107-40AB-8D70-982B67A6860A.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 12

Temp2c

Master Craft Avenger GT, 225/70r15.. I usually have one or two that dont need balance weights, just remounted with a little rubber shaved off..

I also like General Grabbers...

Reactions: 327

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I am running 235 70R 15's Cooper Cobras (black wall out) on my '63 and the same except for 225's on the front of the '59. They ride nice, balanced well, and were very reasonably priced. Also have a set of whitewalls on stock '63 wheels for running if I want the stock wheel covers on. When I had my '61 Corvette, I ran wide white radials made to look like bias called American Classics through Coker. They rode very well but were almost $400 per tire I think they were 700. 15's which were a little larger than the stock 6.70 15IMG-6791.jpgIMG-6754.jpgIMG-4785.jpgIMG_1591.jpg tire size.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I never knew until a few years ago that tires have a certain shelf life before becoming unsafe. As explained to me, they start the rubber breakdown-deteriorating process from inside so you don't see it. When I bought my '55 4 years ago, the widewhite tires were practically brand new, if not new. I thought great, no tires needed. Then I read about the above and found a receipt for the tire purchase from 1991, when a full restoration was done. These tires were 29 years old if I did the math correctly. I have the worse body style, a convertible, for a blowout and rollover. So, I decided on new tires. A friend told me about Diamondback which I never heard of before. I contacted them and they had the widewhite radial that I wanted, so I bought 5 of them. Great tires. The reason I mention this, is that they make them according to when ordered. They don't have then sitting on a shelf for 2 years before selling them, so you get them fresh and that starts the longevity clock running. I wouldn't buy elsewhere. I'm not putting down Coker, but didn't they have tires issues sometime ago?? I'm sure it's been rectified by now but I'm still a fan of Diamondback. Best wishes with your selection, Carmine.