Tires

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the widest 15" tire that I can put on my '64 without any modifications?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Remove your wheels and measure from the face of your brake drum/disc to the first point of contact to the inside and the same to the out side. That will give you a cross section then you will need to figure your backset from there.

This is what I did on my car.

Hey guys, I just finished putting disc brakes on my 61' I really wanted to change the ride hight on my car. In order to achieve the look I was after I had to go with 2" dropped spindles and dropped springs. No one out there offers a dropped spindle that will allow me to use the factory drum brakes so I upgraded to disc brakes. I ended up with about a 4" drop in the front and 3.5" in the back. I also went with a adjustable panhard bar in the back to square up the rearend. In place of the 14 X 6 8.00X14 factory skins I opted for 18X8 with a 5.5 backset wrapped in a 245/40 BFG for the front and 18X9.5 with a 5" backset wrapped in a 285/40 BFG in the rear.

Good luck

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What are you saying?

Does the panhard rod force the rear axle to the right if the car is lowered? Never thought about it before, but it seems likely. Anybody have first hand experience on this? My 62 is lowered (cut springs) all around.

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
I think it would have to because I went up with my ride height and it pulled the rearend slightly to the drivers side

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does the panhard rod force the rear axle to the right if the car is lowered? Never thought about it before, but it seems likely. Anybody have first hand experience on this? My 62 is lowered (cut springs) all around.

It did a little bit on mine. My tires are pretty much stuffed into the fender wells and it was necessary for me to bring the rearend back to center. I had to do it on my 63 SWB as well.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
To try and answer the original question about tires, I just put P235 75R 15's on my 63 and they JUST clear. I installed SCR's 2 1/2 Inch mandrel bent exhaust system with the Show Car Hangers and it all works, I also used Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
To try and answer the original question about tires, I just put P235 75R 15's on my 63 and they JUST clear. I installed SCR's 2 1/2 Inch mandrel bent exhaust system with the Show Car Hangers and it all works, I also used Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.

Thanks, I've got the same tires on mine right now, but would like to be able to fit a 10.5" tire underneath. Sounds like I'm going to have to do the tripower math lesson to figure it out.

Thanks for all the input guys