to elect.or not to

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,now that i have the a/c done and a oil and trans cooler in front of the
rad. i may have a cooling problem in all this city driving.
i have new desert cooler rad. and a 17in 6 blade 35deg fan blade. fan cover is half over the blades. driving at 30-90mph ok reads 180degs. but light to light
the temp. goes up to 210-220. but will move down if i can get car moving.
now for the???
1. which is better elect. fan or belt driven fan
2. if it is elect fans, then which is better 1-17in. or 2-11in. i would think two?
a buddy has a 427 big hp. and has the two 11in. fans and works great.
with a smaller rad.
just getting ready for the florida summer.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Elec fan?

Mike, Electric fan all the way! Although a correctly installed belt driven fan is fairly effective it does not pull enough air to cool a high HP engine in city traffic conditions. I have a single 16" electric that does a better job cooling my 400 HP engine. Electric fans free up some HP also and are better at saving gas.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got both

Mike,after 24 of fighting my cooling problems,I went to a larger radiator and I built a new fan shroud.I'm going to run both the fan blade is for highway use and I installed a electric fan inside my fan shroud for city use.If you go with an electric fan you should mount the electric on a shroud,also if your trans cooler is mounted in front of the radiator that should be moved also this restricts air flow through your radiator.Here's a photo of my new radiator and shroud.

Attachments

• Picture%20031.jpg
    Picture%20031.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 106

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks Gearhead

Mike,here's a photo of a electric fan with a shroud,you want to pull air through every square inch of your radiator.

Attachments

• flx-30.jpg
    flx-30.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 25

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
thank you,,,Ray,Jim went and got the flex-a-lite two 11in fans with built in
shroud pulls 2700 cfm. covers the hole all but the bottom 3/4in. turns on at
185 off at 170, draws 13.5 amps. will install tonight.
the speed shop here (gearhead) his name Ed first time in 30 years he has seen a "W" motor just loved it, big Chevy guy 396's 427's of course he has all
the toys.
thanks again for the help
mike

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
will got the old fan blade and cover removed installed the new elect. fan's. hot wired to test and now it sounds like a small jet. but at 600 rpm's will pull smoke from 3 feet away. this is 1 1/2-2 feet better then the other fan. at 2000 rpm it was trying to pull my pants off:roll so now i think i'm ready for the next summer. i'll get it done tomorrow and test drive.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
got it installed and 1/2 wiring done then the beer and a buddy got in the way-----dam i hate that, will get done before football on t-day,,
an may you all have a very good t-day :cheers