tonofun1

tonofun1

Hi all, what a great site!! I'm Rob Smih and I have owned a 64 impala SS for about 15 years now. My Grandfather bought the car new in Carpinteria CA. and garage kept it all of its life. The car was VERY original and pretty clean but in need of paint and a good clean-up/restore. I have started the project and decided to switch the original 327/250hp to a 409. All you purist dont worry I'm keeping the 327 covered under the work bench! The 409 I bought is out of a truck (656 block and 333 heads) I have purchased an original set of carter dual quads and a Offenhauser dual quad intake that I plan to use. I am going to keep the Powerglide trans but intend to rebuild it to handle the 409. The motor is currently torn down and in the machine shop. If anyone has any suggestions or helpfull advise on the rebuilding of my motor I would appreciate the tips!
Thanks!!
Rob

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
suggestion

Ton, be sure to remind the builder of the rear cam bushing issue. And the rear main seal with the 2 little xtra pieces thay go under the rear cap:) :) Mike

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ton, be sure to remind the builder of the rear cam bushing issue. And the rear main seal with the 2 little xtra pieces thay go under the rear cap:) :) Mike

Welcome Rob,what Mike means the rear cam Bearing,make sure that 3 holes in the cam bearing are align with the oil passages in the block.Very Important some Machine shops align the holes wrong :doh

jr.W

Well Known Member
Jim (or any one) can you post some pictures of the cam bearing holes
you are talking about. Is it not set up like a small black with the groove all
the way around? Just 3 holes?

Thanks

Almost forgot welcome to the sight tonofun1

jr.W

Well Known Member
Thanks Ronnie if I am seeing correctly, 2 holes on the bottom and one on the
top. There must be matching holes in the block then. Is this just the rear
bearing?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
jr.W,there's 3 ways to install this bearing 2 wrong ways and 1 right way.Make sure all three holes in the bearing line up with the 3 holes in the block.Some machine shops line up 2 holes and the third hole is blocked off :doh

tonofun1

Mike, Thanks for the tip!! I can see where that could easily be missed and a complete disaster! I will forward the info to my machine shop.
Thanks Again!
Rob