tools to replace bushings in my 61 impala

fastcars

Well Known Member
I am doing a frame off restoration and need help putting on the new bushing without bending the parts. I need help with the lower and upper a-arms, and all the control arms. I already removed the old bushings completely.... (not sure the name of the parts but the bushings include the center tubular piece where the screws go through, the rubber around it and the metal around the the outsice of the rubber holding everything together). I powder coated the parts and now they are ready to have the bushings put back in. I didnt powdercoat any part that has threads or a bushing in it. I started using my press to put the new bushings in the upper control arm but it bent the arm a bit so I had to hammer it back out. I might have to use another control arm because that one might not work anymore. Thats the problem I'm haveing. I look in my 1961 shop manual and it says I need tools like: J-7574-4, J-7574-3, J-7052-2, J-7052-1, and so on. These tools go inbetween the parts so they dont bend when you put preassure on them. Where can I find these tools, or what did you guys use when you did this?

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sockets, pipe work well and so does freezeing the bushings:D Clean the outer part and make sure into can atleast slip into the a arm, they are held together with bolts when done, freeze the bushing to shrink it and it may slip in far enough to allow you to easily push them in.

By they way the freeze to shink method is used in most machine shops for wrist pins. Slips right in but once warmed up good luck removing them!