Tooth's 30 chevy coupe /409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Many years ago I pried a car and some parts from Jeff, he is a bit of a curmudgeon unless you know him well like Tooth does. Doesn't like to sell ANYTHING. He did price that complete Algon set up to me years ago, but I didn't have the cash at the time. He did sell me a block that needed sleeves and a pair of 583s :).

I'm pretty sure he has a 400 horse engine in one of those trailers he stores all those parts in. If anyone can pry parts away from Jeff it would be Tooth :) :) :).

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
U want to sell the manifolds?
Dick thanks, be sure to batten down the hatches! Manifolds are on their way ups and supposed to be there Friday, however I think you guys may be having an issue with a storm seeing as how you're only a couple of miles from the Atlantic Ocean:confused. Be safe and keep us posted on how you're doing! Hope you can burn a tire soon! :cool:

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Dick thanks, be sure to batten down the hatches! Manifolds are on their way ups and supposed to be there Friday, however I think you guys may be having an issue with a storm seeing as how you're only a couple of miles from the Atlantic Ocean:confused. Be safe and keep us posted on how you're doing! Hope you can burn a tire soon! :cool:
Thanks John. Hatches are secured. Light rain now; the worst to come tomorrow night. We've been in the Myrtle Beach area nearly 6 years now and this makes hurricane number 4 that we will experience. That is the price paid for living in paradise, I suppose.
Dick

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Thanks John. Hatches are secured. Light rain now; the worst to come tomorrow night. We've been in the Myrtle Beach area nearly 6 years now and this makes hurricane number 4 that we will experience. That is the price paid for living in paradise, I suppose.
Dick
John:
The manifolds arrived today in good nick. A huge thank you for the excellent packaging, communication and well wishes during our Dorian escapade. Bob will be pleased to know I'm heading to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick up a 7.5kw generator to stave off darkness, heat, humidity and boredom when the next storm inevitably clobbers us!
Best regards,,
Dick

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You're very welcome Dick, I appreciate your communication and Not leaving me hanging! I hope the pictures done the manifolds Justice and that you are happy with their condition, and it is hard to believe that Bob had a 25% off coupon and did not even use it for labor day!!!!!!!!! He's going to have to sharpen up his super shopper skills.:facepalm I'm sure he'll be all right and I'm glad you are too! Good luck and shoot me some pictures of your hot rod with the manifolds on it. I always say " burn a tire!!!!!!!" Take care too!!!!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So today James and I made a trip down to Russ's and he sold me a car block with a standard bore that has a couple of cracks in the usual place right below the deck surface. I called the Lock & Stitch people and talk to them about their repair kits, they said they were very familiar with the 409 crack issue and he asked me if it was underneath the deck surface running parallel and I said yes. He said this kit will definitely fix it he just needed to know the thickness of the block. He said to take a drill 1/8 inch hole through the middle of one of the cracks bend the paperclip and find out how thick the casting is. He would set me up with a kit with a proper length of breakaway bolts. He said the sealer that comes with the kit when you take the air away from it that's when it dries and that the hardware will cause the block to pull together and lock tight. Many people have good results with this repair and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. Russ also offered me a truck block that is complete and is standard and is not seized up. His price was very fair and reasonable and I told him I was interested, he said I could come and pick it up any time it wasn't going to go anywhere and it had my name on it. He also said that he hadn't sold any 409 parts and more than 20 years. And this was the first things that he had sold to anybody!!!
I feel really lucky:good he also gave James a lot of 63 trim, and I'm sure James was very happy to get it. Several grills and all kinds of trim. Russ is truly an nice guy and is willing to help somebody with a project. We had a wonderful day checked out his collection and man does he have some cool stuff...
I had my eyeballs all over that red and black 69 L79 Nova:tongue2:love 375 HP Muncie 4 speed
I was looking over the Jackshaw Z-11 at the Hurst shifter stickers that were huge in the back side glass's and told Russ they were cool and I would love to have a set for my Nova I asked him where he got them at and he said that a guy sent them to him, and when we got back up to the shop he gave me a set for the Beater Nova. Blew my mind, can't tell you how much I appreciated that......

Attachments

• 20191012_135227.jpg
    20191012_135227.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191012_135234.jpg
    20191012_135234.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191012_134747.jpg
    20191012_134747.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20191012_134849.jpg
    20191012_134849.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191012_134739.jpg
    20191012_134739.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191012_135204.jpg
    20191012_135204.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20191012_134839.jpg
    20191012_134839.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20191012_134958.jpg
    20191012_134958.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191012_134801.jpg
    20191012_134801.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20191012_135009.jpg
    20191012_135009.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 29

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Tom, I owe it all to you and James, Buddy's:facepalm:wacko:dunno and I still have the 348 block you gave me that needs a sleeve. Yes I do have plans to build it someday with the remainder of my 409 truck parts.:D
Jeff called me the other day and told me that he now has all the stuff to deck and bore and line hone my block! He actually really seemed interested too! But he also said he didn't have time for the rest of the world! I guess I'm pretty lucky in many ways....

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Fifteen or so years ago Jeff sold me a block, two sets of 583s and some other stuff and I remember he had a complete JA stamped engine somewhere in one of those storage containers. You ought to angle for that one when he's in a good mood :). And then there's that Algon setup he priced me back then...