Tooth's 30 chevy coupe /409

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Found a frame today, is an actual 31 chevy coupe 5 window frame!
Woohoo! Going to Iowa Thursday the 27th. That reminds me of a joke I heard about Iowa. Do you know what they call a good-looking lady in Iowa? (A TOURIST) just kidding, here are the pics he sent...

Attachments

• 107_0389.JPG
    107_0389.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 107_0396.JPG
    107_0396.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 107_0398.JPG
    107_0398.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 107_0401.JPG
    107_0401.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 107_0402.JPG
    107_0402.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 25

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I lived in newton when I was young, was a resident for a few years. Lol :dunno
Thats what my grandpa always told me!
Here he is with his brand new ford! Guess what it is. Damn I wish he would of left it in the garage for me!!:thud he's on the right sitting down, his older brother is on the left. From Unionville, mo next to the IOWA BORDER! LOL
P.S. drove home from the dealer and took this pic! So my uncle and aunt said.20181223_110055.jpg20181223_112745.jpg

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry I was out looking at Old Iron with Salt Flats, it's in Grinnell Iowa and he's going to meet me at the Iowa Missouri border either Thursday or Friday depending on weather. Found a 33 chevy truck 1/2 ton with a title. No pics( what was I thinking?)
I guess I wasn't :confused anyway he told me he had a 33 frame with a title but you never bothered to mention that he wasn't going to separate the rest of the truck from the frame till I got there. But there's only about 45 miles from here. Had a lot of other cool stuff though. Stacks of Wheels and other hot rod stuff. Is a beautiful day though to go look at the old Steel. Whereabouts are you located? we have a lot of friends in Iowa some in Davenport some out west from Des Moines and I go up and see some family to once in awhile. I made a trip one time up to Waterloo Iowa to see Rudy pitre at r&p blowers and he hook me up with a complete blower setup for my 69 C10 wood Hauling truck. LOL it's the black one in Pryor pics. 20181128_200006.jpg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Today was a wonderful day to go to Iowa and pick up 31 Chevy 5 Window Coupe frame. Little rainy little cloudy but excitement over power that easily. Everything went well and got a possible few more leads for more parts. I went over to Tom's this evening that is Tom Kantankerous's and dug through some 348 parts. Piled some stuff together for a possible build. And I know that Don Jack's ears were burning. :bow20181227_121900.jpg20181227_121913.jpg20181227_211302.jpg20181227_211219.jpg20181227_211048.jpg20181227_211251.jpg20181227_205648.jpg20181227_205711.jpgLOL the frame is Not Bent and seems to be in pretty good shape just needs cleaned up. I guess the next thing to get is the 9.3 Oldsmobile Pontiac rear end for it. Oh yeah and I got a notice that the delivery truck is bringing my English wheel, planishing hammer, stretcher shrinker. Bead roller will probably be in the next week or so, I've used these tools before but I've always had to borrow them and it's nice to have your own, I'm lucky!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Don, we were talking about you last night, hence the reference :).

Tooth is looking at possibly using that double notch 348 short block I've got laying around, dressing it up a bit on top (intake, etc.) and possibly using that cam you recommended. Given that he has almost no weight in that '31 Chevy, 250-300 horses ought to make for a fun driver :). He wants to stay "all GM" with a late 50s/early 60s Pontiac rear, etc.

Another option I have for him is a bare 348 block that can be built up to a higher horsepower level, but that would be the more expensive route.

James and I are gonna make sure he's properly infected with the dreaded "W virus" :):):).

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Funny you mention that La hot rods, my mom gave me a big screen TV to hang on the wall and I'm kind of concerned that it may get too much attention. LOL:rub oh well John Wayne will have to wait! Looks like I may have to enclose my carport and the Nova may be in there till Spring Awakening. also going to move some shelves around and put some more storage tubs in my big metal truck container. I would highly recommend anybody who needs storage to get one of those containers if your Gestapo County government or city government doesn't put the kibosh on you. Mine's full of heavy metal shelving on one side and it really keeps my shop cleaned out.. I have a little over 5 acers by the way!:taunt

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
On that "double notcher" I would get a set of the Icon pistons for the stock stroke 348.With that block you'll wind right at 9-1,a set of 333's with 817 sized valves and bowl work,an 0950 cam,an Eddie single 4 bbl.intake,or a 3-2 set up[more expensive,less power],mostly a "looks" thing".and a set of 2 1/2 manifolds.Easy 340-350 hp.Another option for the induction would be to put a 6-71 up there with a couple of 500 cfm AVS-2'S up there.Then you'd be getting closer to 500.:crazy

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I haven't seen any how-to's about it either, but people talk about using 3/4 inch 1 inch 14 gauge square tubing. I know you can take square tubing and run it through a roller and put a slight Bend in it and see how the Contour is and tack it in. It's kind of like when you get your first tubing benders and you're making Benz sometimes you end up with a lot of door bars. LOL I'm a fast learner and not worried about it at all I will figure it out quick! I'll talk to some of the old Chevy guys who sell parts and if there's something out there I'll post it.

Clint

Well Known Member
I haven't seen any how-to's about it either, but people talk about using 3/4 inch 1 inch 14 gauge square tubing. I know you can take square tubing and run it through a roller and put a slight Bend in it and see how the Contour is and tack it in. It's kind of like when you get your first tubing benders and you're making Benz sometimes you end up with a lot of door bars. LOL I'm a fast learner and not worried about it at all I will figure it out quick! I'll talk to some of the old Chevy guys who sell parts and if there's something out there I'll post it.
I used square tubing in a model A coupe.. I think it was 3/4 inch. you can bend it into a curve.