Tooth's 68 Chevy ll Beater Project

32chevy348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tooth, I just ran across this build. Its a lot like the one I'm doing on my 80 Malibu. I've got a question on you're QP rear end, are you running disc brakes with a e-brake? That's what I put under my Malibu but the e-brake bracket hits my frame. Did you have anything like that if so what's the fix?96.jpeg80.jpeg81.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tooth, I just ran across this build. Its a lot like the one I'm doing on my 80 Malibu. I've got a question on you're QP rear end, are you running disc brakes with a e-brake? That's what I put under my Malibu but the e-brake bracket hits my frame. Did you have anything like that if so what's the fix?View attachment 71232View attachment 71233View attachment 71234
I an not using an E brake with my disc set up. I talked to Max at QP and he said it would need modified and might not work. I decided not to use one at this time. I have a chalk block. and am selective where I park. also my super T 10 has a 288 1st gear... MAX at QP might have your answer. I think I saw a video on youtube with the fix for this problem.
It looks like they flip the bracket around to the front side with the caliper and pads in the front. I'm not sure I would do that but there are several videos this is just one.

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If I was going to have disc brakes on the rear and wanted a park brake, i would go with the disc brake with the small drum brake in the hub of the rotor.
The calipers with the park brake built in are pron for problems with the ratchet portion of the piston.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Father's Day 2019 turn out to be a fantastic day for me, my children were awesome and are always there for me. So is my wife! They asked me what I wanted to do and I told them I wanted to go out and take a cruise in the beater NOVA. We met for breakfast because breakfast is my favorite meal anytime of the day! Hung out for a while until the rain stopped about 10 o'clock. Then I asked and what they were going to do for the day and they we're all going to go meet some friends. So as soon as they left I hopped in the Nova. I ended up driving over a hundred and twenty miles roundtrip the only thing that was a little irritating is the price of 93 octane gas! But well worth it when it comes to the enjoyment of the drive. This was the farthest road trip I had taken yet today in the Nova. I chose to drive it on old state roads and County Roads through the country over the hills and round the corners to see how it handles. 325 gear is a perfect gear to cruise.
4th at 2800 rpm= 71mph
4th at 2500 rpm= 63 mph
4th at 2300 rpm = 55 mph
All the new suspension parts that worked out really well and have really made this into a nice driver. I stopped and picked up a friend Jim in Fayette and he rode with me for a while and was amazed at how well it drove and it Road. We went through downtown with a nice loping roll in first gear I opened it up through first second and third gear and he was amazed and so were the people watching . He knew it sounded good and it run pretty good but riding in the passenger seat got him pretty excited! We went down the road and came back up on a side road to look at the evidence and there was about two blocks of rubber left on the payment.:dunno I got done with the cruise I brought it back into the shop put it on the lift and checked everything out. I had absolutely no issues other than I stopped at O'Reilly's and put a PCV valve in because it was Dripping a little oil out of my breathers. Man did that make a big difference and the way that it idled and performed. No more oil dripping on the header flange Beneath the Air breathers. Here are some pics of underneath the car that I have not posted before. Some are similar but these are pretty clear and you can see the condition of the bottom of the car.:D20190618_170128.jpg20190618_170505.jpg20190618_170734.jpg20190618_170538.jpg

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A piece of advice to you younger guys, don't wait till your old to get a car lift. They're not that expensive they're easy to install and it will make your life much easier! When I built my shop seven years ago I knew I was going to have a car lift installed what I didn't know was that I would be the one installing it. I measured everything and I shopped around and it fit in my shop with inches to spare. And I mean inches! The lift is all the way up as high as it'll go and this is how much room is under my 4in cowl induction hood. The concrete was poured 5 to 6 in thick and the side walls are 10 ft. You got to love it when a plan works out, the only thing I had to do was plate one of my trusses because I had to raise it about 10 in over-the-back class. It's a 9000 pound lift and I paid 1595.00 no tax..... :flag only had to drive about 3 and 1/2 hours each way to pick it up. Easy to install and man is just makes things so much easier. I am lucky and definitely I have been blessed!!!!!!!!!20190618_165936.jpg20190618_165927.jpg20190618_165838.jpg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess the next thing to do according to James is to put a driveshaft Loop in it and get me a new updated helmet. Then it'll be time to go to Mo /Kan or St Louis and see what happens! I have put four or five different combinations of wheels and backspacing on it to see what will work the best. Now I just need to order my wheels and a set of drag radials. Take the antifreeze out of the car and put in water and put my drive shaft Loop in!:driver:burnout I would really like to go to St Louis -Gateway some evening when Ralph is there with his 63!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave it is a Champion brand, and is 220 / 240. I got it from a guy named Keith in Ozark Missouri and they also install them. 800.844.9608. Cell 417.224.0525.
I know he has crews and does installations all over the Midwest I think even up in Iowa. He is online if you go to Craigslist you will see his products under Tools and car lifts. Happy birthday buying Mary a car lift so she can change your oil and rotate your tires. She's a keeper!:D

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well put in the needed driveshaft loooop! Now will pass tech at the track. James and Tom let me barrow one of the slicks and wheels from the Salt Shaker for fitmit. Need a 7 inch wheel with a 4.5/4.75 backspace. And 9 x 28 or 255.60.15 drag radial. My rear wheels on it now are 15x7 with 4.75 backspace. I guess I need to order another set. I custom made the driveshaft loop from 2" x 1/4 steel with my new 20 ton press. Fits perfect! Getting Closer!
20190629_202156.jpg20190629_202139.jpg20190629_202226.jpg20190629_202243.jpg

Last edited: