Torque Converter Balance Weights

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anyone ever had a Torque Converter Balance Weight come loose from the converter body? It looks like the weld between the weight and converter did not penetrate very well. I had no indication of an issue. It came off at a loaded engine rpm of 5000ish. Made a heck of a racket. Of the two weights on the converter it was the lightest by far. Other then contacting the manufacturer, is it as easy as taking the car to a transmission shop and having a replacement welded on?

Thanks,

TomO

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If you want to bring the converter over, I'll balance it for you on our Hines balancer.:) Seriously, we balance all our converters to within 5 grams, then weld the weight on with a MIG. I've not seen one come off but we did have a warranty a couple of months ago for a weld sticking up too high and interfering with the reluctor.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mearl - Thank you for the offer. I will see what the manufacturer has to say. I got the converter turned so I could see where the weights were. 2 of the 3 spot welds only discolored the converter case and did not penetrate.

Tom