Torque wrench

El Rat

Well Known Member
As I was getting ready to torque the heads on my biscuit, with my fancy assed snap on torque wrench, I couldn’t help but remember using my fathers BEAM type torque wrench some 60 years ago. I’ll bet many on this forum don’t know what a beam torque wrench is. Just sayin...

El Rat

Well Known Member
Makes sense. I still do it by feal. If it’s way to hard Or too sloppy i check it with a borrowed old style.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used to use my Craftsman beam torque wrench for everything I had to torque. Never a problem, but there were times it was hard to read the scale when torquing out of a comfortable position. I now have a couple micrometer style click and a couple dial type. I really like the dial type, but I grab the micrometer click ones because its more convenient to tighten till it clicks than watching a dial or scale, except for pinion pre load of course.

Clint

Well Known Member
As I was getting ready to torque the heads on my biscuit, with my fancy assed snap on torque wrench, I couldn’t help but remember using my fathers BEAM type torque wrench some 60 years ago. I’ll bet many on this forum don’t know what a beam torque wrench is. Just sayin...
I still have one but I don't use it anymore because I have the snap on clicker also.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
First beam torque wrench I used(still have one) was when I was about 13/14.

Built a 51 Ford V8 flathead my older brother blew up. I got the car if I could get it running.

I didn’t have any torque settings, but a buddy had a repair manual of his dads. However, it was for a 55-265.

What did I know, both were V-8’s.

I used a chain attached to the back bumper of a friend’s mother’s car, drug that Ford all over the place with the tires screaming.

Pan had to come off to loosen the main and rod bearings :) :) :) :)

Beam torque wrench worked really well.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I still have, my first torque wrench.:clap It's a Bonney Beam Type. I bought it, in the early sixties. Served me well, all these years. :applI only use it, if I need a lower torque reading.:dunno I cracked the plastic handle one day, torqueing the Main Caps, on an engine.:doh When I go over a certain lb. ft. number, the crack in the handle opens up, and pinches my hand.:bang Like others have said, the click type, is just handier.:clap

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Makes sense. I still do it by feal. If it’s way to hard Or too sloppy i check it with a borrowed old style.
First beam torque wrench I used(still have one) was when I was about 13/14.

Built a 51 Ford V8 flathead my older brother blew up. I got the car if I could get it running.

I didn’t have any torque settings, but a buddy had a repair manual of his dads. However, it was for a 55-265.

What did I know, both were V-8’s.

I used a chain attached to the back bumper of a friend’s mother’s car, drug that Ford all over the place with the tires screaming.

Pan had to come off to loosen the main and rod bearings :):):):)

Beam torque wrench worked really well.
You must have done it like El Rat did it by feal!!!:laugh4