Towing a '64 ?

62BillT

Well Known Member
I'm needing to tow a couple of 64's that have the third member (hogshead) already out. The axels are back in and bolted. I was talking to a friend of mine recently and he was telling me that those bearings are self sealed and towing them this way with no gear oil in there would be no problem.

I'm looking for additional opinions. The cars will be towed about 45 miles at speeds up to 55.

Any info would be appreciated.

Bill

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Bearings are sealed not to leak oil out but if there is no oil in the rear end they are not lubricated. It is hard to say if they will make it that far at that speed but there also is nothing to keep the axles from floping around with no differential.

Bill

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tow it backwards

Use one of those axle dollies and put the rear wheels on it instead of the front. I see them behind motor homes all the time.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Actually the car in question was to be hauled on the back end of a rollback as we want to haul 2 at a time. We can't haul these particular cars backwards as they also don't have steering columns, therefore no way to tie them off.

But I got the problem solved. I found someone who has a Car Carrier and a Trailer. This way all 4 axels will be off the ground.

But I also appreciate the info for future reference. In all the 40 years I've been foolin' with old Chevys, I never had to haul one with no hogshead.

Thanks y'all.