Tracks Closing

62BillT

Well Known Member
We also lost the one at our small time Airport a few years back near here in New London, VA. As time goes on, we seem to be losing more and more. Glad to see that some are still flourishing though.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
We haven''t had any show up for the high school class since 2013. And that year there were only 2 racers all year. And they were sons of the volunteer track workers. Probably over half of our racers are collecting social security.. We have trouble getting workers to help at the track. Sad, but I can see where drag racing is headed.
But on a positive note, we still have 4 tracks running in the state.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15

On another note,Tri-State Raceway where we held the Iowa race last year, is having 3 Division races in 2024 I believe due to other tracks closing. They usually have 1. The track has been leased again by the 3 Fangman brother's. Young guys. As far as I was concerned they did a great job when we were there. Also, they were good on their word and also checked in with our group often to see if things were going smoothly.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Come on Dick, step up....

lennyjay

Well Known Member
We have seen in southern AZ, the move from drag racing to moto cross racing among young people. One main reason is cost, you can get a full race dirt bike for 5K. The tracks are relatively easy to maintain, without a lot of overhead, it's dirt. Not my cup of tea, as I like wrenching and building, but it looks like drag racing 30 years ago....big crowds.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That’s what happened to raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, they said that it was due to cost why they stopped the drag racing and went to motor cross and cart racing but I watched it happen to Englishtown and the 3 drag tracks and the 2 circle tracks that used to be on Long Island. The residential area would start to build up around the tracks and as Soon as there was enough people living near the tracks to complain about the noise they were gone. There‘s still one of the circle tracks left but the residents of Riverhead are constantly working to get it close

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

Closed Six Years Ago, New York’s Skyview Drags To Reopen​

andrewwolf
By ANDREW WOLF JANUARY 10, 2024
Let’s turn the tide of bad news, shall we?
The Skyview Drags, an 1/8-mile drag racing facility located in Owego, New York, a short drive from the New York/Pennsylvania border, last heard the sound of racing engines and the smell of burnt rubber on its surface in 2018. The facility has sat dormant for six years, its still relatively new structures and surface — it was built in 2004 — slowly being reclaimed by nature.
Skyview Drags