Trains

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Being the weather is crappy out me and the boy decided to put the train set back together. I have had the first parts of this since I was 6 or 7 years old and at that time it was just a circle I used to put together on a piece of cardboard and play with. My step dad was into trains too and as I got older he helped me build it into a setup I had on a 4x8 piece of plywood. When I moved out I removed everything from the plywood and put it in boxes for a later time. Well 20 years later and now it is up and running again and the boy loves it. He was there the whole time I built the table and set the track up on it. I have buildings and other landscape items to eventually put back on it but for now the boy is just happy watching it go around and around. 2F60BBC2-4DAA-471A-AC13-86B90A23A159.jpeg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob I haven’t looked at the price of stuff yet I only needed basic things like nails and track joiners to do what I have done so far. Anything new I will need will have to come from online stores being the hobby store I used to get things from closed down about 10 years ago. Thanks guys for the kind words. The boy is my little shadow he is always there no matter what I am doing and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My parents bought me a Lionel "O" Gauge set, in 1954.:clap Still have it, but no room to put it up.:cry1

It must have been around 1956 Mom & Dad bought me an American Flyer S gauge set that they bought with S & H Green stamps. I have since converted to HO gauge because American Flyer was getting to expensive, Hell I haven't had the HO set out for years. AS far as slot cars go Mom & Dad bought my Brother and I a Aurora Ho slot car set that spent most of the time not working . I then bought a Strombecker 1/32 scale set then years later I revived my slot car days with a Tyco X2 HO set and those little bugger were fast.

Mark

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I also have my first HO set that was a Christmas present in 1957. I can remember seeing the set while Christmas shopping with family in the front window of SWEARINGEN Sporting goods in Athens Ohio. I must have had my nose pressed against the window and come Christmas morning there it was. Tyco is the brand. I set it up around the tree a couple of years ago. That year I had a Christmas party for moms,dads and their kids. As predicted and on cue the four year old terror of the neighborhood had it off the tracks in a flash. The kids were fascinated by the little train. Things were a lot more detailed then as the wheel assembly has real working springs.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
James my setup is HO scale. Drc409 me and the brother used to have some slot cars and track but I don’t know where all that ended up. I have thought about getting a setup for Christmas in a couple years when the boy isn’t so destructive and will appreciate it more. That’s cool you still have your original setup Ray!

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had so many O gage engines and car sets it was insane. My son grew up running them with me. I sold off a lot and dont have anything running anymore. Son is graduating with a Chemical Engineering degree. Comes home and said Dad we are going to build a big HO layout. This stuff and cars never leave you.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’d incorporate a slot racing track too:driver
That is the only way to go. I have some pretty funny VHS videos of me as a kid playing with my train set for hours on end (still have the entire set). My current Upholstery table is is my old train set 4x8 sheet platform from when I was a kid (just like the picture above) but I covered it with Vinyl now. GOOD TIMES! I just bought my 2 year old boy slot car set. 1981 Dukes of Hazzard slot car set just like I had when I was 4. Also picked up about 15 other cars for fun. 20180427_222926.jpg