Trains

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My parents bought me a Lionel "O" Gauge set, in 1954.:clap Still have it, but no room to put it up.:cry1

This was in our basement for as long as I could remember. I always thought it was mine.

Bud MacKenzie Train_2.jpg

I grew up, moved away and I assumed it was passed on to my younger brother. Eventually dad took it all down and put it in boxes. When my son was born I asked dad if I could bring it home and put it in my basement. He agreed. I did.

Years later I found that there is a Delaware model railroad club which held open houses at a lot of members homes on weekends in the early winter. I would pick up dad and we would go house to house visiting different layouts. One day I heard dad tell a fellow " I used to have a Lionel O gauge layout in my basement". Holy Cow ! All those years I was wrong! It was actually dad's train set!

That year I bought him a a Lionel, steam powered, freight set and put in under his tree every Christmas until he couldn't live at home any longer. When dad died my little brother took it. I guess that was fair. I got the original which is now in my son's basement.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This was in our basement for as long as I could remember. I always thought it was mine.

View attachment 68750

I grew up, moved away and I assumed it was passed on to my younger brother. Eventually dad took it all down and put it in boxes. When my son was born I asked dad if I could bring it home and put it in my basement. He agreed. I did.

Years later I found that there is a Delaware model railroad club which held open houses at a lot of members homes on weekends in the early winter. I would pick up dad and we would go house to house visiting different layouts. One day I heard dad tell a fellow " I used to have a Lionel O gauge layout in my basement". Holy Cow ! All those years I was wrong! It was actually dad's train set!

That year I bought him a a Lionel, steam powered, freight set and put in under his tree every Christmas until he couldn't live at home any longer. When dad died my little brother took it. I guess that was fair. I got the original which is now in my son's basement.

Dick, that is a great story! I’m sure you have many, many memories with your Dad!! Congratulations!!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Got our first train set in 1954 and added over the next couple years. All Lionel and Marx '027' gauge....:)
Original set up was 8 x 8 table with farms, (mirror for a river) and some city stuff, tunnel and a forest.
Packed away in 1962 until 1993 when I got them going for my 9 year old son. Packed away again in 2002
and finally got them out (2017) on a small table (4x8). Had to buy all new track and a new transformer.....:good
Fun to just let them run.........:cool:........sure brings back memories........:clap

trains 1.jpgtrains 2.jpgtrain jake.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Got our first train set in 1954 and added over the next couple years. All Lionel and Marx '027' gauge....:)
Original set up was 8 x 8 table with farms, (mirror for a river) and some city stuff, tunnel and a forest.
Packed away in 1962 until 1993 when I got them going for my 9 year old son. Packed away again in 2002
and finally got them out (2017) on a small table (4x8). Had to buy all new track and a new transformer.....:good
Fun to just let them run.........:cool:........sure brings back memories........:clap

View attachment 68783View attachment 68784View attachment 68785
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe!!!!!!!! That's what I had on my HO layout!!!