Trains

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
......it was pretty cool when my Dad built it in the 50's on a 8 x 8 table.......don't have any of the farms
or buildings now......but this is still fun to run........:clap
Yup they are always fun to just let them run! Got any plans to put yours back to like what your dad had it set up like?

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I shouldn't get started. I was a train kid before I was a car guy. In 1956 at the age of 2, that Christmas, we got among other things, an American Flyer S gauge set. Black steam locomotive with the smoke fluid,yellow box car, flat car with load, silver tank car,and a red caboose with the little brakeman on the back step that would move when the train started. We ran that thing a lot that year. Subsequent years brought with them a black and orange single diesel with the three silver and orange passenger cars. That would have been 1957.Two years later, a green,black and red old fashioned steam locomotive with two yellow coaches came, American Flyer between 1954 to about 1960 was a very good quality,excellent running line of trains that were in actuality, half scale models and half toy trains. All that stuff got put in boxes,we moved to green southern Oregon in 1962 when I was 7, and we had no room to set up the trains,so it all was bored in a storage room on the side of the house. My father passed in 1966, there was no work up there for a single woman with two kids, so we wound up moving back down to So Cal where life resumed right at the start of junior high school. Problem was,Mom gave the trains away to a relative who came up to help us move,and never told me. I was at school that day. She never asked me first, just told me after the fact. Never really trusted her again,either. After my uncle died, I got the one set back. He'd set it all up and run it, at least someone enjoyed it. I did get the 1959 set back, it's sitting on a shelf 10 feet behind me as I write this. I bought elsewhere the two sets I had, then went on a collecting binge about 25 years ago, now I have about a 100 piece collection. Some stuff takes on a life of itself. Also, I got into collecting brass HO scale steam locomotives and a bunch of cars and HO track, but I have no idea on earth where I would build a layout. It seems that online sources and Ebay seem to be the place to go anymore,the town train and hobby stores are all gone anymore. Yes, it's an expensive hobby. So is everything else.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I shouldn't get started. I was a train kid before I was a car guy. In 1956 at the age of 2, that Christmas, we got among other things, an American Flyer S gauge set. Black steam locomotive with the smoke fluid,yellow box car, flat car with load, silver tank car,and a red caboose with the little brakeman on the back step that would move when the train started. We ran that thing a lot that year. Subsequent years brought with them a black and orange single diesel with the three silver and orange passenger cars. That would have been 1957.Two years later, a green,black and red old fashioned steam locomotive with two yellow coaches came, American Flyer between 1954 to about 1960 was a very good quality,excellent running line of trains that were in actuality, half scale models and half toy trains. All that stuff got put in boxes,we moved to green southern Oregon in 1962 when I was 7, and we had no room to set up the trains,so it all was bored in a storage room on the side of the house. My father passed in 1966, there was no work up there for a single woman with two kids, so we wound up moving back down to So Cal where life resumed right at the start of junior high school. Problem was,Mom gave the trains away to a relative who came up to help us move,and never told me. I was at school that day. She never asked me first, just told me after the fact. Never really trusted her again,either. After my uncle died, I got the one set back. He'd set it all up and run it, at least someone enjoyed it. I did get the 1959 set back, it's sitting on a shelf 10 feet behind me as I write this. I bought elsewhere the two sets I had, then went on a collecting binge about 25 years ago, now I have about a 100 piece collection. Some stuff takes on a life of itself. Also, I got into collecting brass HO scale steam locomotives and a bunch of cars and HO track, but I have no idea on earth where I would build a layout. It seems that online sources and Ebay seem to be the place to go anymore,the town train and hobby stores are all gone anymore. Yes, it's an expensive hobby. So is everything else.

That sounds just like the set Santa got me for Christmas Greg. It had a 4-6-2 Great Northern locomotive with tender a flat car with logs don't remember the road name a yellow with brown top Katy box car a silver Gulf tank car and last but not least a brown caboose with the little brakeman.

Mark

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have this track and controller if anyone needs more track or wants to get started.
20190313_133824 (2).jpg
20190313_133457 (2).jpg
20190313_133420 (2).jpg
I also have a 4x4 sheet with the circle for the Christmas tree.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Mark-- That's the set, but the black steam locomotive was lettered Chicago& Northwestern, the # on the cab should be 283, the Gulf tank car should be #925, the black flat should be #928,the box car should be #947,the caboose should be #977. The early caboose had a painted stayed metal brakeman, the later ones were molded rubber.That set came out in 1956 and was fairly common.You could find all the pieces on Ebay probably for not that much cash. I got into collecting A/F some years back,but haven't bought any in a long time. Parts are still available on Ebay as well.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Mark-- That's the set, but the black steam locomotive was lettered Chicago& Northwestern, the # on the cab should be 283, the Gulf tank car should be #925, the black flat should be #928,the box car should be #947,the caboose should be #977. The early caboose had a painted stayed metal brakeman, the later ones were molded rubber.That set came out in 1956 and was fairly common.You could find all the pieces on Ebay probably for not that much cash. I got into collecting A/F some years back,but haven't bought any in a long time. Parts are still available on Ebay as well.

You're right Greg that's the road name of the loco it been awhile since I've looked at it and the the little guy in the caboose is rubber. I have a few more pieces that I've acquired through the years I have two or three cast loco's. My nephew got into collecting American Flyer a couple of years ago but he needed some money so he sold most of it off he does have some nice Lionel stuff though. His Step-Father just recently gave him a couple of real nice American Flyer passenger sets.

Mark

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
You're right Greg that's the road name of the loco it been awhile since I've looked at it and the the little guy in the caboose is rubber. I have a few more pieces that I've acquired through the years I have two or three cast loco's. My nephew got into collecting American Flyer a couple of years ago but he needed some money so he sold most of it off he does have some nice Lionel stuff though. His Step-Father just recently gave him a couple of real nice American Flyer passenger sets.

Mark

Mark
He has the right kind of relatives!! Isn't it amazing how guys that are into cars are into guns, planes,boats, motorcycles, and our many interests tend to overlap? That's what makes life cool!!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My buddy Nathans step dad has started a new life with this track.
We had given it to him on his birthday.
View attachment 74121

We tried something similar in our carport when we were kids. However we tried to hang it from the ceiling and then let it down for use. Wayyyy to under engineered though. So they went back inside where they belonged anyway.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
There are Video's on YouTube, about trains, in different countries.:appl I love the Train ride, in Switzerland. Will never get there in person, but I guess this is second best.:clap Beautiful country.:cloud