Trains

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are Video's on YouTube, about trains, in different countries.:appl I love the Train ride, in Switzerland. Will never get there in person, but I guess this is second best.:clap Beautiful country.:cloud

Don't sell yourself short on going. It doesn't cost that much. And until we are gone, there probably is a way. I didn't do the train, however I rode a Harley through the Alps.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow I think everyone who grew up in the 50's had an electric train set, me also. I like them so much I still have one around the tree every year. My kids grew up with them at Christmas and now my grandkids play with the trains at grandpas house. I bought an old 50's Lionel set a couple years ago and gave it to my son in law to take home for the grandchilderen. Keep the tradition going!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I have a hall closet full of train stuff. I'll probably never build another layout, the garage has two race cars in it, my enclosed trailer has my Chevelle in it, my man cave has shelves full of trains on three walls,mostly HO brass steam locomotives, and American Flyer S gauge. One thing my wife and I have done, and are scheduled to do next month, are steam excursions. In 1992, I rode behind SP Daylight 4449 from San Jose to Sacramento, toured the cal state RR museum, clearly the best thing that goes on in Sacramento, and returned to San Jose after dark. That train ran at least 80 MPH across the farmlands along the Sacramento River,and it was quite a show. It also ran without a diesel helper. In 2012, we went to Williams, Arizona, and rode behind Santa Fe 3751 on a Grand Canyon Railway trip. That thing was quite a road monster, too.One of the fun things that they do on steam fan trips is to pick a spot at the top of a long grade, let everybody get off where they can watch, back the steam train down the hill a couple miles, then run it wide open throttle up the hill and past everybody so we can get photos and video. The unreal ground pounding blasting noise out the stack of a 4000 plus horsepower steam locomotive is unreal,to say the least. Once a year, we have also ridden behind 3751 from Los Angeles to San Bernardino behind the same locomotive. Also, my wife and I rode to San Diego from Los Angeles behind 3751one way, then came home that same evening on the Amtrak,so boring after being,riding, and hearing big steam, and this next month, we will be riding behind Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 from Colton to Barstow up Cajon Pass. Should be the ultimate place to run one of the nation's ultimate steam locomotives. Another trip we took on vacation one year was the Durango and Silverton in Colorado. Nothing like a 409 in the lights, a Stock Eliminator car on a good run,a big steam locomotive running hard, mechanical engineering at its finest.

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Wow I think everyone who grew up in the 50's had an electric train set, me also. I like them so much I still have one around the tree every year. My kids grew up with them at Christmas and now my grandkids play with the trains at grandpas house. I bought an old 50's Lionel set a couple years ago and gave it to my son in law to take home for the grandchilderen. Keep the tradition going!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Go on Youtube, type in Santa Fe 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive #3751 High Speed Pass in 1080 P. We were passengers on that run that day. On the way down through suburban Orange County, there was a large multi game girl's softball tournament going on in Aliso Viejo, and next to the ball park was a large major intersection.Needless to say, a loud long blast of that whistle sure disrupted the whole softball tournament as we went by.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Greg

Mary and I rode the Silverton/ Durango when we were on a bike trip several years ago. Good time.

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
If you like reading about big projects with lots of photo documentation, go on line and pull up NMSL&RHS. This locomotive project is in Albuquerque,New Mexico and it documents the removal and restoration of another big steam locomotive,Santa Fe 2926. They have taken probably over a thousand photos of how they got this locomotive from the City of ABQ, secured a place to restore it, had it moved out of a park and to the restoration headquarters, and the subsequent thousands of hours of work this project has been. It's been steamed a few times to test the boiler and appliances, and its in the final stages of reassembly before it is operated. Absolutely fascinating undertaking.

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow I am jealous of all those train rides. A few years ago the Union Pacific 844 rolled through town, my wife and I went to a remote area to watch it. This thing came by full bore we were standing 10’ off the tracks, it’s giving me goosebumps now as I mention it strictly AWESOME!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
In 1989 when I worked for the City of Los Angeles, we were next door to LA Union Station. It also was when they had a big 50th Anniversary of the station. Friday afternoon of that weekend, they brought down from the Sacramento museum, a red and silver AB pair of ex Santa Fe F unit diesels, and a E unit painted in SP Daylight colors in the morning. At 1 PM, they brought down 844 with a full on train, one of the yellow UP E A units, and SP Daylight and matching train. I snuck out of the shop and got a good vantage point in advance, and among much whistle blowing and outrageously impressive train noise, the grand entrance of steam came around the bend at the entrance to the station,both steam locomotives running side by side. Santa Fe 3751 wasn't there, it was being restored, and there was no way to even cosmetically assemble it to even get it towed in, although that engine has been there many times since then. It was a hot afternoon in May, but the sound of that steam noise gave me the chills. When I was back in the shop, somebody made the comment that"something must be going on next door with all that noise". Yep. Big steam running just like it is supposed to where it belongs. Nothing like it.

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have a video of that day Ill try and attach it, the sound of the steam whistle is like no other! Greg Im having trouble trying to attach the video it is 1:33 long if you want to PM me your phone # I can text it to you, its worth watching.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
There's lots of good video on Youtube . I found a great one of chasing the 844 out of Wyoming,Utah,and across the desert to converge at Union Station, as well as the race up Cajon Pass with 4449 on a parallel track. I'll get the exact title of it off Youtube and come back and share it so you can see some impressive steam action. Seems that amtrak reared its butt ugly federally subsidized head and banned all private special train trips on any routes that are part of the amtrak system. Union Pacific can run their steam anywhere on the UP system since 844,3985,and 4014 are their locomotives,and the rest of the Heritage Fleet are their trains. Wouldn't 844 have been a great lead engine ahead of #4141 on the George Bush funeral train?

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Steam Engines to Los Angeles 2. Try this one on for size. Another good one was Santa Fe 3751California Limited 99th Anniversary Special. We live two blocks north of the old Pasadena Subdivision, we knew it was heading in around 7 AM that morning that the video opens on, and we got to see it. What an awesome sight. That was the first steam locomotive to use that line since the last run of 3759 in February, 1955.That video was shot in December of 1991 or 92.

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
For your viewing pleasure, go on YouTube and watch Steam Trains Operation San Jose. The 4449 powered Sacramento trip we rode on was covered starting at 1:31:48 to 1:48:05. Outstanding experience.Loved that wig wag grade crossing signal at Newark. I remembered those things on some of the SP branches from when I was a six or seven year old kid. Most of those signals were on Pacific Electric branches. Those were taken over by Southern Pacific when the PE discontinued freight operations about 1965. Seems the collectors like those.

Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Youtube also has quite a few Big Boy 4014 videos. I'm sure this upcoming trip next month will produce quite a few good videos as well. Looking forward to it. Seems to be quite a few train guys on this forum as well.

Greg do you know of any sites on line that has information on railroad related info? My Nephew is into looking up info on old train related stuff for our area around Youngstown Ohio. For example when I was about 12 yrs. old my Cousin and I used to go to this old train tower in Latimer Ohio and became friends with the two guys that worked there and they let us pull some of the switch levers at least the ones that we could pull we had a great time doing that , but we can't find any info on the old tower anywhere. Boy I'll tell you there's nothing like being in a tower 20 ft. off the tracks when a freight goes rumbling by that old tower sure used to rock and roll.

Mark