Transfer 61 bubble roof onto 62 impala cpe

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Finally getting around to updating my project . After restoring several 62 chevys, 2dr 's, 4 dr's, & convertibles, I still possessed a few other 62's that were in poor but restorable condition. One of which was a 2 dr. impala cpe., which had a rusted out roof. Got an idea that maybe a 61 bubble roof could be grafted onto a 62 impala. I located a 61 bubble roof in the area and discussed this project with my friend, Jim Sullivan, who is now hand making air cleaners for our 348-409 engines. Jim believed that this transfer could be done, not knowing that others had undertaken such a project before us. With Jim as the Master Fabrication tech, the project had begun, and much progress has been done as of this writing. A complete frame restoration from a donor car, has now been completed as well, and several pictures of the project will follow.......

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All the 61/62 bubble roofs are the same. There's more cloned 62 bubbles driving around then were ever made by GM

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:picsMike, I just couldn't resist using this sign. I'll put some pictures up in a few minutes.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
And a few more pictures. The major fabrication and welding is done. Now, I hope to get some epoxy primer on before winter then await the spring for more fun.

Attachments

• 100_2299.jpg
    100_2299.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_2300.jpg
    100_2300.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 100_2301.jpg
    100_2301.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 100_2303.jpg
    100_2303.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_2304.jpg
    100_2304.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 228

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have to take my hat off to you guys back East for taking on a project like that. Man, I have parted cars out that were in much better shape then that.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have to take my hat off to you guys back East for taking on a project like that. Man, I have parted cars out that were in much better shape then that.
Yeah and it breaks our heart when we see those parted Dan. We understand it's just a difference in humidity and therefore rust, but still hard to see for those of us in the rust belts. My own pride and joy would be a rust bucket in the eyes of most of the guys on here. Oh well....we work with what we have.

62 Bubble and Jim Sullivan: Great work and things sure look like they are coming along well.

I've always wondered wouldn't it be easier to swap the rear sheetmetal from the middle of the quarter panels back than to swap a roof? Front half of the 1/4 forward is the same on 61/62 so then you'd just swap the front clip as a bolt on deal and done.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've always wondered wouldn't it be easier to swap the rear sheetmetal from the middle of the quarter panels back than to swap a roof? Front half of the 1/4 forward is the same on 61/62 so then you'd just swap the front clip as a bolt on deal and done.
That wouldn't make any sense. You would have a car that apeared to look like a 62 Bel-Air Sport Coupe but titled as a 61 and sacraficeed a 61...:spank

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That wouldn't make any sense. You would have a car that apeared to look like a 62 Bel-Air Sport Coupe but titled as a 61 and sacraficeed a 61...:spank
You are right.....kills me to see a 61 Impala or Bel Air bubbletop have it's roof (or rear section) cut off. But the sacrificed '62 car could be any old 4 door. If you cut off a roof you're still sacrificing a '61. I guess the roof sacrifice could always come from a BOP, but we all know that they hack up Impalas too. (No offense to those of you who hack up ones that aren't really salvageable.)

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hi guys, thanks for the kind words, but just for those of you who get an ache in your heart to see our late greats cut up, be at rest, as both of the cars used in this project were in real bad condition with respect to the body of the 61, and the roof of the 62 impala. Here in the east, we are lucky to find a car that old that is not gone to dust, so we work with what we have. Count your blessings for the solid iron you have out west. Have a daughter who lived in Georgetown, Co. , went to visit, found a fenced in junk yard with two 61 impalas inside. First time I had seen our cars sitting outside in the weather, and only the interior was shot. The guy would not sell either one. Oh well, I still have a few in the woods in Hawley, Pa.