Transfer 61 bubble roof onto 62 impala cpe

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I
noticed a couple days ago, they had no stainless on the back 1/4 arm rest panel. Well now Im look for those 2
straight pieces of stainless, its hell getting old. You must be quite happy to have some of the hard welding done.
Keep it up. stan:appl

I think I have those pieces.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Most of the difficult metal replacement pieces have been completed, except for the lower left rear quarter panel, then we can start on the body filler and sand, sand , sand.. The weather is pretty warm now , so I thought I would replace the rear body mounts behind the rear wheel. The right side was in good condition, so I did not replace it, just cleaned it up , made a patch for it and welded the patch to the body brace. Had to replace the left brace as it was rusted out. The rest of the trunk is in great shape, so all I have to do now is clean and sand the entire trunk and spray the gray epoxy primer , and seam seal all of the seams and it should be ready for splatter paint down the road.

Attachments

• DSCN0854.JPG
    DSCN0854.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN0855.JPG
    DSCN0855.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN0856.JPG
    DSCN0856.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN0857.JPG
    DSCN0857.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN0859.JPG
    DSCN0859.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN0861.JPG
    DSCN0861.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN0862.JPG
    DSCN0862.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 203

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Boy those pictures sure bring back some memories, you can open a trunk and just know where to look for the rust outs. Great job, and I know your happy its done. Sure wish I could be there to help you sand, sand, and sand. lol Progress is a great motivator. :winner

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks guys for all the kind words and thoughts. No thanks SKIP, this is the last one I am doing, honest...and Jim is loaded with work himself, so not much free time left. It sure feels good to have the nice weather coming back , now I can get some work done on the under side of the car. There was a great deal of undercoating on this car, and it really kept the trunk area and the area of the gas tank in great condition. I am just going to clean off the dirt from years past, and apply a light coat of fresh undercoating over what is there now. I will also undercoat the bottom of the new floors , after they are primed in red primer, just to make it all uniform. Too much work to scrap off all of that old undercoating , and it will cover some of the welding that was done in some of the areas underneath... Jim the new welder is working pretty good, after much trial and error with the settings..

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The weather has been really nice and warm here in Pa. Just had to get back on the Bubble Top and get some more work done. Finished the firewall with epoxy after filling and sanding all of the metal work that Jim Sullivan had done. Then went to the floors and sanded and primed them as well. Today I went to work on the entire trunk which was is great shape except for the body mount corners which were repaired a few weeks ago . Got all of the sanding done by 10 AM, and cleaned it all up and got is ready for epoxy primer. The temp. was about 65 degrees and no wind, so the outside paint booth worked out just fine, just like Bob's. The trunk is now ready for the gray & white splatter paint , which will be done after the car is painted...

Attachments

• DSCN0872.JPG
    DSCN0872.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN0873.JPG
    DSCN0873.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN0874.JPG
    DSCN0874.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0875.JPG
    DSCN0875.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN0878.JPG
    DSCN0878.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN0879.JPG
    DSCN0879.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN0880.JPG
    DSCN0880.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN0881.JPG
    DSCN0881.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 173

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Look's great... Amazing what a little elbow grease a nd primer can do!!!! Been there done that too!!!:D

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Working on getting the passengers side door and fender lined up. When I do that I will get some pics on the site.. The drivers side is looking pretty good with the door and fender line up. The dash and all of the interior pieces, ie. steering wheel , steering column , etc. are ready for paint. Finally got the driveway finished. They removed all of the old blacktop last Tuesday, and returned yesterday, and re-paved. Did a great job, but can't drive on it for about four days with this hot weather.