transmission cross member

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
I just noticed today the the transmission cross member has a taper to it where the trans mounts. So my question is which way does it go. Taper toward the rear or the front?

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
taper or angle

then you would say the taller part towards the front and the narrow part to the rear. Is that correct?

bobs409

Administrator
Are they all like this? I'm ready to put mine back in and it doesn't look tapered to me. :? (mines a PG)

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Cross member?

Correct Don, no doubt about it, The descending angle goes toward the rear of the car. Stock powerglide cross member. My crossmember is a modified stock piece. It has been sectioned for width to accommodate the 700 R4 tranny. With the powerglide bolted in I drew an imaginary line through the center of the tranny output shaft to where the driveshaft would enter the driveshaft tunnel of the X frame. Since the R4 tranny is longer I had to adjust the height as well as section the tranny crossmember to hit the same plane and maintain the same U joiint angle so the driveshaft would enter the tunnel in the same location.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
taper

Bob,

Look at it closely and you will see that a section in the middle of the cross member where the trans mounts. One side is taller than the other. I won't tell which way it was in the car. I usually just pull the bolt on one side and let it hang. I took it out all the way this time to modify it so that I can get to the tranny pan bolts that were inaccessible because of the cross member. I'm just going to put 2 access holes in so that I can get a socket on them. Nothing fancy. Hopefully tonight I'll post a picture of what goodies I found on the inside of the transmission.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
On that same subject

Is the driveshaft exactly centered in the tunnel up front. I use a T400 and I just centered it in the hole. I recently switched to the aluminum support bearing and am getting a slight vibration at low speed. Thought I might shim the trans mount a little and retest as I go. An accurate starting point would save some time.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Center?

916, I wouldn't worry as much about the driveshaft being centered up and down as much as I would worry about the driveline angles. The front driveshaft has an in and out motion rather than an up and down one. When I said I centered mine I don't mean up and down, rather a side to side thing!

bobs409

Administrator
Dond409 said:
Bob,

Look at it closely and you will see that a section in the middle of the cross member where the trans mounts. One side is taller than the other.

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! It is angled! :D :p

Mine has been out for a few years in plain view everytime I open my trunk. I cleaned, sandblasted, primed and painted it and never noticed the angle before.

This news came at a very good time for me, I just put the 283 & trans back in the other day and was waiting on a new trans mount before reinstalling the crossmember. :cheers

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
center

If you look closely at where the transmission mounts. Measure in from each side you will notice that it is not in the center. I wonder if having the cross- member in wrong would cause a vibration. The engine and transmission should always be biased to the passenger side.