Treadle vac units any good?

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,
I've got a 1958 Impala that came equipped with the Treadle Vac unit. I wanted to find out what your experiences have been with keeping this brake system setup instead of upgrading to disc brake or hydro-boost system. Does the original brake system have excellent stopping power?

I currently have a 348 with a mild cam, 700R4 automatic, and stock rear end ratio.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It kind of depends on what you want to do with the car. the original brake system works fine but the updated systems are much better. JMO

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
It kind of depends on what you want to do with the car. the original brake system works fine but the updated systems are much better. JMO
Hi Dan, Thanks for the information, I plan on using this cars as street cruiser-just want the brakes to be reliable when I need to hit a panic stop.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Since its already not stock (the 700R4 being the clue) I would definitely upgrade the brakes to modern front discs you really don't NEED 4 wheel discs unless you just want to show off the rotor & caliper as the front of the car does the majority of the braking and properly installed and adjusted rear drums will be more than adequate for most street level horsepower. Install a dual chamber master cylinder and depending on the route you take for sure get rid of the ball bearing hubs and convert it to the tapered roller bearing style. My preference would be to use something that uses common Chevy parts that if you break down in the middle of nowhere that you are not SOL. Do your homework a lot of people like to use race car parts/calipers that are not meant for street driving that don't have simple thing like the rubber dust boots on the brake pistons that keep out water, dirt and other debris that on a street car is reality if its a driver versus only going a 1/4 mile at a time.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They're good if they're in good shape. The problem is they're old and if they need rebuilding they seem to failure again very quickly. Rebuilding treadle vacs is not very reliable by the average rebuilder, parts are very difficult to come by. If yours is working properly, keep it.
The problem with disc brake swaps is when you want to retain the original 14" wheels, disc brakes don't fit. I have disc brake kits that fit original 14" wheels for 1959-64-not 1958. 1958 spindle is unique and not the same as 59-64.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They're good if they're in good shape. The problem is they're old and if they need rebuilding they seem to failure again very quickly. Rebuilding treadle vacs is not very reliable by the average rebuilder, parts are very difficult to come by. If yours is working properly, keep it.
The problem with disc brake swaps is when you want to retain the original 14" wheels, disc brakes don't fit. I have disc brake kits that fit original 14" wheels for 1959-64-not 1958. 1958 spindle is unique and not the same as 59-64.
Can a 59'-64' spindle be used with 58' A-arms?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can a 59'-64' spindle be used with 58' A-arms?

Sure. The difference is the 58 spindle uses the same upper 5/8" bolt offset as the 55/57 spindle otherwise identical to 59-64 spindle
As far as the disc brakes for 1958, I did make one that fits origanl 14" wheels but stopped production due to very low demand.

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi guys, I've decided to upgrade to a front disc brake conversion setup from Auto City classic that will work with a 14" wheel along with a hydro-boost kit set up instead of a power booster set up.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Auto City Classic, um, better watch that stuff, don't be fooled by the price. I got fooled, once.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I took a look at the link and they're claiming not for use with disc brakes on all four wheels. I'm curious what the concern/problem is.
Anyone have a guess?
I'm thinking of a similar unit my self but I'm going to have disk brakes on all wheels.

Doh, I can't read, it says not for 4 wheel drum brake setups...

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I took a look at the link and they're claiming not for use with disc brakes on all four wheels. I'm curious what the concern/problem is.
Anyone have a guess?
I'm thinking of a similar unit my self but I'm going to have disk brakes on all wheels.
Doh, I can't read, it says not for 4 wheel drum brake setups...
Okay you already answered your own question...:beer
I am using their universal one on my 57' Buick.
http://www.hydratechbraking.com/Universal.html

Last edited: