Tremec 5 speed swap.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
WARNING: Impala lovers with heart conditions should not look at the attached photos! :deal

We just finished installing a Tremec TKO 600 5speed transmision in the 62. http://5speedtransmissions.com/tr-3550.html The good news is this thing works absolutely terrific. :beerbang The bad part is you've got to cut out a pretty big chunk of the floor pan hump in order to make it fit. :cry It's not really all that bad though because the pan looks stock when it's done. The Tremec's a couple of inches longer than the Muncie/T-10 and it's about the same width, no problem there. But it's also higher and bulkier on top so it hits the transmission hump. You've got to cut out the part that hits, shaping it with a big hammer won't do. I cut out a big chunk of floor and made a new pannel to replace it. I saved the piece I cut out so that I could weld it back in if I ever decide to do a proper restoration. I used pop rivets to install the new pannel because I didn't want to burn all the paint off by welding. I'll post some step by step photos.

1 Tremec beside Super T-10
2 Stock floorboards
3 Shifter hump removed
4 large section of floor removed, Tremec is in place.
5 Cardboard template

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 705
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 646
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 752
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 664

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
More pictures.

1 new patch pannel
2 Panel held in place with removeable Cleko pins
3 New panel pop riveted into place. Seam sealer was sandwiched under panel and spread over rivet heads.
4 Floor painted and modified universal shifter boot installed
5 Factory SS shift plate installed

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 435
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 461
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 470
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 513

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Tremec TKO 600 is rated at 650hp and 600ft. lbs torque. It's got a 2.87 first gear and has evenly spaced close ratio style gears for 2nd 3rd and 4th. Then I opted for the .64 overdrive ratio, a closer ratio .82 is also available. With the .64 overdrive my 4.11 rear axle cruises at the same speed as a 2.63 rear axle would. That means I will be turning 1965rpm @ 60mph instead of 3070rpm. It shifts smoothly, the throws are really short and it's quiet. I didn't think the Super T-10 was all that noisy but you really notice the difference. I was driving it pretty easy tonight in order to break it in but I expect it should shift quite well at higher rpms. The Tremec is basicly a beefed up T-5 Borg Warner. The T-5's were quite weak and notoriously hard to shift into 3rd at high rpm's so I was a bit skeptical about the horsepower ratings at first. But after alot of web searches I couldn't find anybody having problems, in fact I came across quite a few stories of 9 and 10 second Mustang owners that love there first generation TKO's (425hp rating) so it should be tough enough. I'm very happy with this thing right now but I love overdrives. :cheers I dumped the Powerglides and put overdrive automatics in my last two cars and thought it was the best move I ever made.
I also had to shorten the driveshaft and alter the crossmember. I was going to build a new crossmember but I didn't have the right materials on hand and I know where I can pick up another original that I can save.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 403
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 300

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Looks like the shifter location on the Tremec is very close to that of the Muncie. Good thing to see for those of use wanting something more than just 4 gears.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
threeimpalas said:
Looks like the shifter location on the Tremec is very close to that of the Muncie. Good thing to see for those of use wanting something more than just 4 gears.

The Tremec 5 speed allows 8 different shifter locations.
I am looking into a conversion for another 66 chevelle SS I may be purchasing.
The variable shifter locations allow use of stock floor consoles in most cars.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Jim,
Fantastic job on your 62.
I hope to see the car in person at an event someday.
And as mentioned above by others your fabrication is awesome.
from your air cleaner, to your panel for the tunnel on your 5-speed conversion.
You do good work. :bow

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Great job on the fabrication to get the Tremec in the 62. You guys made in look like a factory installation and the car just keeps getting better.

Bill

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Geary Trussell said:
Good looking job. What kind of tool did you use to cut the opeing
in the floor pan?

We used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. Actualy, more like two or three metal cutting blades because I always manage to break at least one. :doh We used air powered metal snips to cut out the new patch pannel. We are lucky enough to have a metal roller and shear. We used that to roll smoth bends into the new pannel. The re-usable Cleko pins that we used to hold everything in place untill we installed the pop rivets worked great. I had never used them before. We got them at a speed shop that stock car racers go to. The stock car guys use them alot.

boylunde

Looks great. I have installed a tremac in my 58, but I think I cut out more metal then you. Anyway, what option did you order for that side mounting shifter? Mine is straight out the top. It looks alot better your way. Anyone I can call for that conversion piece?
Also, Is that console a stock 61 or 62 piece?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looking good!

Jim:

That conversion is looking real good. So are you going to come around and do this for the rest of us?

It really changes the manner in which the car performs, doesn't it?

Very impressive!!!

TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
"Looks great. I have installed a tremac in my 58, but I think I cut out more metal then you. Anyway, what option did you order for that side mounting shifter? Mine is straight out the top. It looks alot better your way. Anyone I can call for that conversion piece? Also, Is that console a stock 61 or 62 piece?"

Your question comes at a good time because after driving around with this tranmission a bit I thought of someting I might have done differently. I got the optional shifter with a 2" offset from Fortes when I got the transmission. I couldn't get on Fortes website but heres a link to another place that's got them.http://5speedtransmissions.com/index.html As you know, the stock Tremec shifter sticks up quite a bit, here's a picture. http://5speedtransmissions.com/tko600_pics.html So there's no way it's going to fit under a factory shifter boot. I guess they're designed for modern cars with consoles. By the way that's the original 62 SS shifter plate, the 61 model is almost the same except it's only pointed at the front end.
The offset shifter is lower as well as being offset to the left, although it's still a bit higher than the Hurst on the T-10. But the only problem with it is that it isn't spring loaded like the stock shifter is. So you've got a little less feel for which gate you are in. There are springs right inside the transmission that hold the stick in line with the 3rd-4th gate. In order to use the 1st-2nd gate you have to pull the stick over against that spring tension, or push to access the 5th-Rev gate. Anyway, with the offset shifter that isn't spring loaded the gates feel a bit vauge. There's no problem at all, in fact it might even be nicer for regular street use but I think it might be easy to hit 5th instead of 3rd if you were shifting fast, like on a dragstrip. So, if I was doing it again I might look into seeing how hard it would be to put some stronger springs in the transmission, especially the ones that keep you out of the 5th-Rev. gate. It's fine as is but I just think it would be better with stronger springs. Here's a couple of pictures from the website above that shows the offset shifter. By the way, the actual shifter handle, ball and boot I used were for a Mustang Hurst part #538 0036. I got the number from the Hurst website. It's about 1/3 of the way down this page, page 17 I think. http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/74086G_hurst_cat.pdf

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 226

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom Kochtanek said:
Jim:

That conversion is looking real good. So are you going to come around and do this for the rest of us?

It really changes the manner in which the car performs, doesn't it?

Very impressive!!!

TomK

Hey Tom, I'll be right over! :roll

It sure makes the car nicer to drive but I wonder if the lower 1st gear would translate into a slightly lower ET on the dragstrip? :scratch My guess is that the car might be a tiny bit quicker but I think someone with a stock 348 or 409 would see the biggest improvement, especially if they had high gears in the rear end and a transmission with a high first gear like the 2.20 in the close ratio T-10s and Muncies.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tremec 5 speed

Help again.....The pilot bearing (1.095) that came with my new Tremec 600 is to large for my 409 crank. I just spent most of the day shopping Phoenix for the proper bearing with no luck.
What is the size for a 409 crank? Can I have my standard Chevy bearing (roller) machined to fit. Or where can I find the correct roller bearing?
Thanks AZ409

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
pilot bearing

AZ409,

I ran into the same problem when assembling my 409 short block last summer. The standard Chevy pilot bearing was too big.I ended up turning down a bronze type bearing to fit the 409 crank. If I remember correctly, it had to be reduced
about .020.

Gerry

oil4kids

Well Known Member
that Tremec TKO 600 sure beats the heck out of my 4 speed saginaw with the borg warner 3 sped overdrive bolted on back. only handles about 300 hp but works ok with the 340hp 409 if you dont hook up the tires

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pilot Bearing ODs

I ran into that pilot bearing deal several years ago. I found at that time that there were 2 different OD pilot bearings available. Don't remember why. I do know I got the other bearing and it went in like it was supposed to. The first one was too big, and the .020 sounds about right. Wish the memory was better, and I could tell you why.

Fred

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pilot bearing for 5 speed swap

409 engines built for automatic transmissions, were drilled for a 1.064 pilot bearings the manual trans engines were drilled 1.094. If you have a automatic crank and are converting to a 4 or 5 speed, Napa has the correct bearing. Napa's parts book calls for the smaller bearing as (needed for powerguide to manual transmission change) AZ409