Tri Power Running Rich.

Ausie59

Hi All.
I have a tri power 348 in my 59 Impala. I bought the car about 2years ago and have noticed that it is running richer every time I drive it.
It has the two end carbs disconnected. I have disassembled the center carb and blown out the needle and seat. I thought while I have it apart,
why not set the float. I know the height is measured from the gasket to the seam on the brass float. Mine is set at 1/4" and does not look right.
Where can I get this information? I do not have a manual at this stage.

Regards Ausie59...........

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks James.I suspected as much,but it''s been many years since I've been inside of a 4gc.

chuckl

Well Known Member
Ausie59, you said that the end carbs were disconnected. Are the throttle linkages off?. Are carbs 1 and 3 blocked off with a plate? Are the fuel lines disconnected and plugged? Any chance that the fuel is coming through the disconnected carbs?

Ausie59

Hi All Again.
Thanks for the information. But before I set the float level , just want to make sure the center carb is the correct one for the 1959 348. The numbers on the side of the bowl are 7023018 0280 1. Can someone verify that this is the correct center carb?

Chuckl- Yes all fuel lines and linkages are disconnected to the front and rear carbs. Their are block off plates under them as well. Thanks for your interest. Jets are 55's if that helps anyone.

Regards,
Ausie59.

Ausie59

Hi All.
Just finished doing some research on my center carb. It so turns out that it is from a 1963 283CI motor. What would the float levels be on this carb compared to the standard 1959 2 Jet 2G carb. Not really fussed about the carb not being correct, just want the car running correctly.

Cheers, Ausie59.

Ausie59

Yes . I did see that after I did the last post. Will have a crack at putting it all back together tomorrow. It is set at 1/4" which is way off where it needs to be. Will post how it all goes.

Cheers...........

Ausie59

Hi All.
Just a report on how my tune up efforts went.
After tearing down the center carby, I found the float to be set 1/2'' out of spec. It was set for a 1959 center carb and not the 1963 carb which is on my car.
Anyway , I put the carby back on and it was still running rich and misfiring under load. I decided to fit a new coil, as someone had suggested to me.
This did not cure the misfire as well. But there was a slight improvement.
I then decided to drain the fuel and put some new 98 octane fuel in. There was a slight improvement, but the miss was still present.

Finally I put some new spark plugs in, and this got rid of the miss. Two of the plugs were firing poorly when I checked them for spark.
I put iridium plugs in and hope now that I get a good run over Summer with the car.

Cheers.......... Ausie59:). Melbourne, Australia..........

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
My 62 was running poorly a couple years ago. Because it isn’t a driven car I checked plugs first. Got lucky as that was the problem and put the hottest range AC’s and it runs great. Now I have to improve on it’s initial starting. Not sure about that :scratch
Robert

wristpin

Well Known Member
My 62 was running poorly a couple years ago. Because it isn’t a driven car I checked plugs first. Got lucky as that was the problem and put the hottest range AC’s and it runs great. Now I have to improve on it’s initial starting. Not sure about that :scratch
Robert[/QUOTE/]
Rstreet just for giggles pour or squirt an ounce or so of fuel into carb throat before trying to start the engine next time. See if it starts easier or no change.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Rstreet...my message above is for you. Click expand on it. I screwed up messaging

Thanks as that makes sense as that it has evaporated the fuel. On rare occasions I have taken the top cover off the air cleaner and given the rear carb just a "sniff" of starting fluid. Usually after about 3 cycles of that procedure fuel appears in the glass fuel filter and it keeps running. Just a theory question I have added my mini sniff in the front carb after opening the throttle plates of course and I see no difference as to which carb front or rear is used. Any thoughts as to a preference to add the gas or a mini sniff?
The 61 SS car has one four carb and it starts the quickest of anything in the garage. My other 61 is a 348 with 2X4 and it even starts better than the 62 2X4 409 car!
Robert