Trim Tag Question

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Carl 1962, I too have a 62 SS car, built in VN California 30126, same color 812/948. Its under
restoration at the this time. I did find some interesting things when tearing it down. Under the
heater box on the cowl, I found in chalk marks SS, and under that further down a 46, and on the same side of the passengers cowl side, the Large Letter P. The other side of the cowl, right of the hood hinges and down, the numbers 412, 48. My vin ACC is 30 EZI SS. Hope your having fun with your car. My car came with org. 327-250hp Powerglide, post rear 3:08.
I need to check the rest of my firewall but I do remember below the heater box on the passenger side there is a SS mark in some type of chalk or crayon, I noticed it when I took the fenders off.

Steve

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
This tag is the 2nd I've recorded from 6th week May 62, the stamping guy must have been having a bad week because he stamped another tag with 5F three days earlier.
Carl how are you determining the other tag was stamped three days earlier than mine, is it by the body number?

Steve

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Carl how are you determining the other tag was stamped three days earlier than mine, is it by the body number?

Steve

Hi Steve, your car has a 4 on the ACC line for the day of the month that the car was built (June 4th). The other Van Nuys car I've recorded with a 5F date stamp has a 1 on the ACC line representing June 1 - three days earlier than yours.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Hi Carl 1962, I too have a 62 SS car, built in VN California 30126, same color 812/948. Its under
restoration at the this time. I did find some interesting things when tearing it down. Under the
heater box on the cowl, I found in chalk marks SS, and under that further down a 46, and on the same side of the passengers cowl side, the Large Letter P. The other side of the cowl, right of the hood hinges and down, the numbers 412, 48. My vin ACC is 30 EZI SS. Hope your having fun with your car. My car came with org. 327-250hp Powerglide, post rear 3:08.

Interesting markings, do you have photos of them and the cowl tag?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Steve, your car has a 4 on the ACC line for the day of the month that the car was built (June 4th). The other Van Nuys car I've recorded with a 5F date stamp has a 1 on the ACC line representing June 1 - three days earlier than yours.
OK thanks Carl, I wasn't sure what the 4 was on the ACC line.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I do have them. Luckily I took a lot of photo's , never enough, but they sure do help in restoration.
Looked ever where for a build sheet, not to be found. It did come with padded dash, and the 412
brake pkg.

View attachment 78348View attachment 78349View attachment 78350View attachment 78351View attachment 78352View attachment 78353

CASHguzzler409 I think the guy who scribbled the SS on your firewall is the same guy that did mine since both cars were built in Van Nuys, you can tell by the hand writing. My car has a 78 where yours has a 46 below the SS, I wonder what those numbers mean. My car also came with a padded dash both over the grab bar and around the edge of the instrument panel.

IMG_4680.JPG

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
409gang, If I didn't know any better I'd say you took a picture of my car, it must have been the same guy. LOL.... if more guys would take and clean their cowls before sandblasting or painting over them, they would find many clues about their cars. And pictures pictures pictures. :shower

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
409gang, If I didn't know any better I'd say you took a picture of my car, it must have been the same guy. LOL.... if more guys would take and clean their cowls before sandblasting or painting over them, they would find many clues about their cars. And pictures pictures pictures. :shower
Your right, that had to be the same guy who marked yours and mine, looks like our two cars were built within about 2 to 3 months of each other.

Steve

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Read what a Verne said about the 4 under ACC...

Paul,
I tried to start my comment by pointing out that my car is a 58 so I was purely speculating as I do not believe that they were using month/week build coding in 58. I probably should have worded it differently.