Trip to NAPA

El Rat

Well Known Member
So I take my dumbass to NAPA...windshield wiper in hand. So out walks 18 year old “billy bob jumpback” grabs my wiper and says what does it go on? I “says” it’s a Trico and there is a number on the side. So he keeps thumbing through the Trico book until he finds the number. He looks up as if he has just seen a vampire and says this wiper is almost 60 years old do you drive the car?
Eventually he comes out with Trico’s replacement which is obviously an offshore effort to copy a genuine GM part...they failed miserably. Well I paid the coin and when I got home I disassembled the off shore lightweight removed the rubber and mated it to the genuine GM part.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I took a Trico wiper to the local NAPA about a month ago. He said he can no longer get refills through NAPA for those older blades. I needed blades right away, so I took the complete cheap looking replacement. I have not tried other parts stores.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
So I take my dumbass to NAPA...windshield wiper in hand. So out walks 18 year old “billy bob jumpback” grabs my wiper and says what does it go on? I “says” it’s a Trico and there is a number on the side. So he keeps thumbing through the Trico book until he finds the number. He looks up as if he has just seen a vampire and says this wiper is almost 60 years old do you drive the car?
Eventually he comes out with Trico’s replacement which is obviously an offshore effort to copy a genuine GM part...they failed miserably. Well I paid the coin and when I got home I disassembled the off shore lightweight removed the rubber and mated it to the genuine GM part.
Did he ask you how many doors your car had when you ask for spark plugs? The local NAPA counterkid seems to have that question down in his script whenever I ask for anything. Then when I tell them it is for my 1934 Plymouth hot rod, I get a glazed-over look.
John

Clint

Well Known Member
Did he ask you how many doors your car had when you ask for spark plugs? The local NAPA counterkid seems to have that question down in his script whenever I ask for anything. Then when I tell them it is for my 1934 Plymouth hot rod, I get a glazed-over look.
John
Is that two or four wheel drive?

Try Newport Engineering... they produce wiper systems. I bought one for my 62.... you can buy the stainless wiper blades I think $20 each.... this system is flawless and installs in about one hour.

BelAirBub

The Trico Classic 15" are pretty good. All stainless. Part #33-150. I use them for replacements. On my truck, NAPA tries to sell me the 16"'ers because that's what the book says to use but they have a big gawdy plastic hinge. If you still have your originals tho, by all means just get the Anco refill.5070457_tr2_33150_pri_larg.jpg

Don Carvill

Well Known Member
I started at NAPA in 1989. Just about the time they were starting to use computer catalogs. I did not have a clue about the paper catalogs. The old guys that came in really avoided me. I still had longish hair and they figured I wouldn't know any thing about cars and they were right. I eventually did get a small measure of credibility with the old guys after time, but I still got the "Deer in the headlights" look when they talked about some thing that a rookie like me had no idea about.It wasn't long before I realized that retail was not the place for me. I went back into construction the next spring and never looked back. Ha ha that really brings back some memories of the good ol days.