Truck 409 acquisition

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I get it, but the rods and pistons are too easy to pass up. The Icon pistons are a great value. So you could do as Don suggests, 6.385 rods and use the 7819 part, or scrounge a set of 6.135 rods (even some generic BBC) and use the 7817 part, saving a few bucks maybe. Many of the Ross sets have thicker rings and are a bit heavier, let alone $200 more.

I haven't had any flat tappet issues either, and Lunati (and others) have some really nice grinds and offer IDM drilled lifters, so I wouldn't hesitate.

Where I might hesitate is spending a lot of money on old iron heads. Add it all up first, JMO.

good luck!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The Icons are the best overall "bang for the buck" out there for a W engine,period.If you want to go hyd.flat tappet,then the Show Cars 0951[it's a Comp Extreme Energy] topped of with a set of Crower "Cam Saver" lifters will fit the bill here.A set of aftermarket heads will set you back around 2600 dollars.To get what you want,those 333's will set you back maybe 1000,1100 dollars since you already have them.

northerndave

Well Known Member
I get it, but the rods and pistons are too easy to pass up. The Icon pistons are a great value. So you could do as Don suggests, 6.385 rods and use the 7819 part, or scrounge a set of 6.135 rods (even some generic BBC) and use the 7817 part, saving a few bucks maybe. Many of the Ross sets have thicker rings and are a bit heavier, let alone $200 more.

I haven't had any flat tappet issues either, and Lunati (and others) have some really nice grinds and offer IDM drilled lifters, so I wouldn't hesitate.

Where I might hesitate is spending a lot of money on old iron heads. Add it all up first, JMO.

good luck!

I see like 4 or 5 options in the 7819 pistons, what's that about?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Piston oversizes are all that I see.The only down side is that those pistons don't use the typical .020,.030,.040 oversizes.They're using pistons that are available in .028,.038,.048 ect oversizes in order to use the more common,easier to find Mopar 440 ring pack.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Cast pistons are heavy,weak,and usually way off the needed pin height.This is going to mean extra money being spent on machine work in order to maintain the quench that the factory designed into the engine from day one.These are not small blocks where you can get head gaskets in just about any thickness that you'd need to build this thing right.95 percent of the available head gaskets are too thick as it now stands.Cometic makes 2 thickness [.027 and .040] that are your only bet since the .020-.022 steel shim gaskets are no longer being made.If you do happen to find a set,they're likely to be as expensive as the Cometics.

northerndave

Well Known Member
I feel like the ross offerings are my current focus unless my bores don't measure well. But if the bores measure well for a +.030 hone cleanup, the ross offerings look attractive.

northerndave

Well Known Member
I took these pics last week at my shop. the car on the right is the future recipient of the 409.

20190529_165447_zpsgmr9q2mb.jpg

20190529_081637_zpshsfex3qz.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Icons are the best overall "bang for the buck" out there for a W engine,period.If you want to go hyd.flat tappet,then the Show Cars 0951[it's a Comp Extreme Energy] topped of with a set of Crower "Cam Saver" lifters will fit the bill here.A set of aftermarket heads will set you back around 2600 dollars.To get what you want,those 333's will set you back maybe 1000,1100 dollars since you already have them.
I’m not sold on the roller set up idea floated earlier. Seems like over kill for getting to 400hp. I also don’t buy the suggestion that flat tap cam and lifters will dissolve in a street car before he dies. I built a motor with a flat tappet cam 22 Year’s ago and it still breaks the tires loose at 60mph. 400hp in a 409 is easy with his general set up. No need to bother getting exotic parts. Change pistons, bigger valves and a 951 cam from our friends at show cars. Done.