Truck project

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
72 pick-up project that has been in the same unfinished status for 8 or 9 years. Built the .030 over 350 , 9 yrs. ago, picked up the air-gap Q-jet intake last year, and swap meet 650 spread bore Holley double pump carb., should be a responsive tire lighter, with the 3.73 posi rear. Haven't had the shop space to get it in to get any work done on it. As my neighbor says " I'll get around to it one of these days".image.jpgimage.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave,That Holley dosn't have the "smog-legal" or reverse idle mixture does it? :scared If so,change the primary metering block.The one in it stock is lousy!:deal

Reactions: Tim

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Thanks for the reminder on that Don, I'll check it tomorrow. In the past, the spreadbores that I have owned had the standard idle circuit, and all were double pumpers. I seen one that was reverse idle, but it was a new carb,& vacuum secondary.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You probably want to ship me that gas pump so I can put it inside where its warm and toasty until the snow melts.........

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like a fun project Dave...:brow Is it a short box? Can't beleive your not using full length headers?:dunno

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Its a short box, thats off the frame now. Needs floor work. Plans for the headers is to cut off the collectors, and modify them to long tube, tri- y design. I'm not sure if I'll keep the T-350 trans, as I have the complete clutch pedal assembly, Z-bar, & links. Have either a iron case BW t-10, or saginaw 4-speed just to make it a little more fun to drive.
Bought those stainless shorty headers at a garage sale for $20 .

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave,If that Saginaw even thinks you're trying to put anything resembling power to it,it'll break!The iron case BW should be your only choice here.Been there,done that on a 75 Monza once upon a time long ago.:confused

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I had a Saginaw 4 speed in my 66 short wide for 10 year's and never had a issue with it. One day racing of 4 or 5 hard off the line tire smoking start's it never gave any problem. I paid 225.00 for it out of a 1967 Camaro and never did anything to it ,just put it in.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Just an update on this . Got the old truck running in March of this year, kind of a beater looking shop truck, but at least I don't have to push it to move it around anymore. Ended up rebuilding the turbo 350 trans., with a new 3200 stall converter, new set of 3.73 gears and tightened up the posi unit clutches. Reworked the headers into long tube tri-Y design. Damn thing runs pretty good, great tire lighter on those part chasing trips. Truck hadn't moved on its own power for 13 years, and still have to put a floor and inside wheel wells in the box. The goal for this year was to just get it running so I didn't have to push it to move it anymore.

image.jpeg