Trunk Plugs

65Impala409

Well Known Member
HI,

I am in progress of putting in a complete trunk floor in my 65 Impala and was wondering if anyone knows if the metal plugs that are screwed into the pans located to the right and left of the spare tire gully are being reproduced??? I was also interested in knowing if anyone knows where I can get the rubber grommet that fits right in the center of the spare tire gully??? Thank you for your time.
Ned
65Impala409

bobs409

Administrator
Most likely they have been reproduced but im sure you could get tons of good used ones.

These are the same on most all old Chevy models so the pickin's should be plentiful. Used on the trunk floor and passenger floor.

Not sure on the plug but probably one of the better parts vendors would have it. You might try taking the old one to a body/paint supplier. (since we live in the same area, I can suggest S&Y in Pottsville) They have a nice assortment of little do-dads like that. While your there, pick up a tube of seam sealer for the install of those floor plates. :D They have brushable seam sealer too that was used for some areas of the trunk floor.

65Impala409

Well Known Member
Hi Bob,
Thank you for the response... Everything checked out aok... I grapped a set out of the junk yard and got some of the seam sealer... The trunk is complete and my 409 is running again... While I had the trunk cut out I also figured I would change out the gas tank, sending unit, and tank straps.... It sure will be nice to display her with the trunk lid open seeing that new gray and white speckle paint.... Thank you for all your info...
Ned
65Impala409

bobs409

Administrator
Glad I could help. Hey, you must work fast! I have a few trunks that need to be replaced around here... :D

Right now, im in the middle of changing out the rocker, rear cab support, floor support, rear floor and cab corner on my 71 C-20. And after that's done...I go to the other side and do it all over again! :) That is if it ever stops raining around here!:cuss

65Impala409

Well Known Member
You are right, it just doesnt seem to stop raining around here... I have a similar project that I just cant get myself up for being my 65 Ford F100 4x4, with a 352 and 3 on the tree... Yep you heard it right, a Ford.... I have to replace the cab corners, the inside steps, and do some major cutting to customize my box.... It is quite a project..... I sure do like the truck, but I can guarentee no bolt will be left unturn.... There is lots of work in this one, not quite like that chevelle photo you posted from ebay but I am sure it is close.... Plus, I just cant wait to finish up my 409 for the car shows.... Thats what I am excited for doing this summer... Some day we will have to meet up, I would love to see your cars... Thanks again...
Ned
65Impala409