Trunk spatter paint

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm unhappy with the trunk paint available in spray cans. I haven't bought any in a while but I've been trying to finish the trunk of the 63 and the Dupli-color stuff at Autozone sucks. I've used 3 cans and it hasn't covered half the trunk. To make it worse, it doesn't come close to matching the original.
What do you guys use? Is there some paint available to spray from a gun? How did the factory do it?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Zolatone is the closest thing there is right now. Not cheap, but good stuff and very durable unlike the rattle cans. Wish I had used it on mine.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I've used Zolatone for years. It's not a perfect match...but very durable...covers well...comes in many shades....sprays well. It is actually a bedliner. Like all water borne products it should have a good sealer primer applied first. Russ

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here is what I did and it may not be correct for all. On my '64 SS, the trunk metal was in excellent shape but the trunk itself was dingy looking. I cleaned, degreased and sanded a little where it was needed. I then tried using rattle cans I bought from either Auto Zone or Advance Auto. The cans didn't cover properly and instead of waiting for the paint to dry, I added even more. Still not the coverage/color I was looking for. And the paint never dried. What a mess I had. Used a bunch of rags and cleaned all the paint out. Cleaned it with some type of thinner. Let it dry and started over again. This time I applied 2 coats of a Rustoleum gray paint to the trunk. I set up a fan to help with the drying process. This was an excellent color and base for me. I then used more of the trunk spatter paint-gray with white speckles-letting each coat dry properly. I think maybe I used 3-4 cans. What a difference that basecoat made. The spatter paint blended so well with it. It may be just a bit brighter then factory, but I like it a lot. It's very clean looking. When I bought my '62, I did the same thing to the trunk. I think it looks great, Carmine.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I've used Zolatone for years. It's not a perfect match...but very durable...covers well...comes in many shades....sprays well. It is actually a bedliner. Like all water borne products it should have a good sealer primer applied first. Russ

Russ, do you spray the Zolatone? I figure it will take a pretty big fluid tip to shoot it. I looked for a type of bed liner that might match the color but didn't see anything; the Zolatone info doesn't mention it. I see that Autobody toolmart has quarts for $57 shipping included, I think I'll try some.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You do spray it. You also need a bigger tip for the gun so the little bubbles that give it the spatter effect don't break .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My lower trunk pan had minor surface rust so i sanded at the very best i could,i had shiny metal in the pan and the side floor's. I treated those with por 15 black using the two chemical's to prep first. I then got the Por 15 Glisten Pc and coated the the black with that as Por 15 black need's a topcoat for proper adhesion. I then sprayed with Eastwood spatter grey white rattle can and it sprayed on very nice. Where i went over the factory paint, upper level , i sanded it lightly and wiped down with prep solvent in other area's it was a very good match. All these application's i waited the proper drying time and beyond for all coat's . I ordered two can's and had to reorder two more ,but i still have a full can left so i can touch up if needed. Eastwood recommend's the clear over that in case of occasional water . I have not cleared mine yet ,but i plan to before any water get''s in just in case.Yes i have more dollar's in this way ,but it will never rust in the lower area and look's as factory as what i wanted.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Well....you might be a red neck if!!!!.....I spray Zolatone with my old Binks Model 7...I have never had to change the tip...might turn the pressure up a bit. I bought the last product on line...maybe $120 a gallon...but that was a while back. Gray Rustoleum would be a good base...just don't spray it over bare metal or untreated rust. It's like Mikey said..."Try it you'll like it!" Russ

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I ordered a quart this morning, should have it for next weekend.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Make sure to follow instructions, you don't mix Zolatone like regular paint, you'll break up the "splatter"

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well....you might be a red neck if!!!!.....I spray Zolatone with my old Binks Model 7...I have never had to change the tip...might turn the pressure up a bit. I bought the last product on line...maybe $120 a gallon...but that was a while back. Gray Rustoleum would be a good base...just don't spray it over bare metal or untreated rust. It's like Mikey said..."Try it you'll like it!" Russ
Using a #7 explains it. They put out material like a fire hose! I have a Binks HVLP and it blows compared to the old #7.