Trunk spatter paint

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No matter what you put on now Merle , you probably are going to have to remove what you have sprayed on now and start over with a good primer, otherwise i think it might give you some problem's now or down the road. :furious :wtf I know i had a lot of time in mine prepping and applying the coating's.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
I may have not done this the correct way but i went thru and cleaned out the trunk the best i could then laid down a few coats of "Por-15" and after it dried i used multiple layers (maybe 7 coats and 8 cans) of spatter paint i bought from a local car paint seller although its not professional im pretty happy with the look i just hope it holds up for a long time with as thick as it should be...i also plan to get the trunk floor mats for it next upon completion

Attachments

• IMG_5704.JPG
    IMG_5704.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 46

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Heres the color i used i kind of wish i would of went darker but it will still work for me

Attachments

• IMG_5727.JPG
    IMG_5727.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 40

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i think you should clear coat the trunk paint. i didn't and rust spots started again, with nothing on top of it. and the trunk orig was just surface
rust in a couple of places from a mat before. i am just guessing that oil base is ok but water base needs a top coat. jim

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Do NOT put the trunk floor mats in it. They will ruin that paint job in a month
Why would it ruin it? Is the bottom of the mats pretty rough? I dont intend on loading the trunk with multiple things other than lawn chairs for occasional car shows but if this is the case what would be a good alternative or protection for this to not happen?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I always clear coat over the top of the trunk spatter paint. I haven't had any issues yet.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
What can happen with the rubber trunk mats is they trap moisture under them and create rust spots.
Its happened to me at least twice on small areas under the mats
I remove my mats in the winter, or fold them back.

Trunk spatter paint is water soluble and the "clear coat" protects the spatter paint from water melting the spatter paint(I have seen it happen on friends cars and the damaged areas in trunk had to be resprayed with more spatter paint).
All trunk spatter paint in spray cans is water soluble from what I have seen on 3-4 different brands.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Also I recently used AC Delco gray/white Reconditioning Paint(Gr 8.000 & 10-7011) in a spray can(from the local Chevy dealer) and its the
best trunk paint in a can that I have seen for how it looks in gray & white (after having painted 10+ ... 61/62 & 63 trunks over the last 10 years). Gray/white is for 61-64 and may be other years
Our painter/body shop guy recommend this spray - he has used it on multiple Chevy restorations over many years.
It is more expensive than the kind purchased at parts stores but the roughly the same cost as Eastwood products.
Paul

402 Impala

Well Known Member
What can happen with the rubber trunk mats is they trap moisture under them and create rust spots.
Its happened to me at least twice on small areas under the mats
I remove my mats in the winter, or fold them back.

Trunk spatter paint is water soluble and the "clear coat" protects the spatter paint from water melting the spatter paint(I have seen it happen on friends cars and the damaged areas in trunk had to be resprayed with more spatter paint).
All trunk spatter paint in spray cans is water soluble from what I have seen on 3-4 different brands.

Paul
I should of helped this problem or eliminated it by putting down the Por-15 first and the spatter paint over this (i used the Por-15 almost as a base coat but multiple coats) if this isnt suffiecent enough then i will most defitently look into the clear option next

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I noticed Rust spots, in my trunk, under the mats, the other day, and my mats are carpet.:doh:bang I never clear coated, the Splatter Paint, either.:mad5

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As long as the trunk doesn't get water in it you will be fine, but never is a long time.
Clear coat over spray can trunk spatter paint is/should be mandatory. There are no other options.
Original gray/white trunk paint that is not affected by water has not been available for 15 years or more.
Paul

402 Impala

Well Known Member
As long as the trunk doesn't get water in it you will be fine, but never is a long time.
Clear coat over spray can trunk spatter paint is/should be mandatory. There are no other options.
Original gray/white trunk paint that is not affected by water has not been available for 15 years or more.
Paul
So just a clear coat like spray paint or should i have a painter clear it?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Our painter recommend a matte clear( since the trunk paint should not look like gloss).
I found a matte clear from rustoleum in a paint can.
Eastwood sells a clear for their trunk paint, but it costs over $10 a can. I have used their trunk paint and clear but
I would rather buy local in case the cans do not work.
Paul

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I wound up using the Zolatone as recommended by Russ Campbell and I love it. it's waterproof and 1,000,000,000 times tougher that trunk paint. It looks right and I even like the smell.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Thanks for the insight everyone im glad i commented and got feeback for myself because it seems like you all saved me a huge headache and disappointment i think i have close to $100 in spray paint just in the trunk and for it all to be thrown away because of not clear coating it would of been heartbreaking

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We pass along information here on this forum because we've been there, done that unfortunately. I thought the trunk mats looked cool too. One summer with them in the car and they ruined the paint. Live and learn

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
About 7 years ago I used the Eastwood splatter paint on a pristine trunk and coated it with an Eastwood clear, all from rattle cans. I did put the mats over that in the early years but found that I still had a bit of surface corrosion appear, so I run without the mats most of the time. I put them in if the car goes on display, but haven't shown the car for years, she's a nice driver :).

TomK