Trunk spatter paint

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The original trunk mats were a cloth composition with a foam base. No problems with moisture. BUT....the repos are made out of rubber, for lack of a better word, and that really causes the moisture problems. The originals did not cause water problems.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Pretty sure its urethane or similar. Thats what I used in my cockpit restoration on the T-28 and it has held up very well for 20 years.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I'm late for this party but on my 61 Chevrolet I started by painting the trunk area with light gray primer, then paint the entire trunk with a light gray acrylic enamel , while the light gray is still wet I come back with white paint unthinned and fog the area. You have to play with nozzles and air pressure and it won't look exactly like the factory finish but it ain't bad.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A long time ago I posted the factory splatter painting process from a Chevrolet Service Bulletin. It must be somewhere in the archives.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I should of helped this problem or eliminated it by putting down the Por-15 first and the spatter paint over this (i used the Por-15 almost as a base coat but multiple coats) if this isnt suffiecent enough then i will most defitently look into the clear option next
I doubt you will have a problem with rust since you have that much por 15 underneath as I have also ,and I topped mine with por 15 glisten pc. Por 15 recommend's this for proper adhesion for the spatter paint. Rust don't start on outside in,it start's inside out with pin hole's on bare metal . The trunk spatter paint is water soluble so it will let moisture go through and if no proper sealant underneath like rust preventer it will start to rust. Yes it is a good idea to clear the spatter to protect from dissolving it from moisture and they recommend that. The zolo tone sound's like a good product much mote expensive with the proper prep product's but they also say it has to have a proper base primer sealant coat before applying in two stage process. It will only adhere to what it is sprayed on ,same principle as a good car finish ,proper prep.

Last edited:

402 Impala

Well Known Member
I doubt you will have a problem with rust since you have that much por 15 underneath as I have also ,and I topped mine with por 15 glisten pc. Por 15 recommend's this for proper adhesion for the spatter paint. Rust don't start on outside in,it start's inside out with pin hole's on bare metal . The trunk spatter paint is water soluble so it will let moisture go through and if no proper sealant underneath like rust preventer it will start to rust. Yes it is a good idea to clear the spatter to protect from dissolving it from moisture and they recommend that. The zolo tone sound's like a good product much mote expensive with the proper prep product's but they also say it has to have a proper base primer sealant coat before applying in two stage process. It will only adhere to what it is sprayed on ,same principle as a good car finish ,proper prep.
I did also scuff the por-15 up and got the shine off so the spatter paint would have something rough to stick to after i cleaned up the scuffed up areas i feel confident itll last a while and the car is garaged but i will for sure clear it to better protect it
Also as a side note question would it be best to por15 the side walls (fenders) or just a black spray paint? I dont intend on on spatter painting it because i dont think itll look good so any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks again everyone for helping me out here

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
All 61 to 64 Chevys had the interior rear 1/4 panels in the trunk -the area from the well wells to and including the area around the tailight on the 1/4 panel had spatter paint from the factory. The vertical areas were all spatter paint. The bottom inside of the horizontal 1/4 panels did not have spatter paint - the vertical to horizontal bend at the 1/4 panel was a transition from spatter to no spatter paint.

I think from the unrestored cars I have restored - all the 1/4 panels had was black primer on them and then the factory spatter paint as I noted above.
All the restored cars that are mostly original, that that I have seen, have spatter paint on the interior 1/4 panels and around the tailight like the factory.

When I had my 62 SS and other 62's over the years judged as original cars at 1000 point Late Great Chevys (58-64) shows the spatter paint not done like the factory painted them would be a deduct in points or a possible change in class.

You can do your car the way you want, I just noting how spatter painted trunks were done by the factory and what most owners of restored to mostly original cars who spatter paint their trunks.

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You guys had me wondering about the rust under the trunk mats, so I just checked mine; no signs of rust whatsoever. When I installed the lower truck section last year and finished the remaining portions of the trunk, I clear coated it with several coats. Guess this is why there is no rust, Carmine.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
All 61 to 64 Chevys had the interior rear 1/4 panels in the trunk -the area from the well wells to and including the area around the tailight on the 1/4 panel had spatter paint from the factory. The vertical areas were all spatter paint. The bottom inside of the horizontal 1/4 panels did not have spatter paint - the vertical to horizontal bend at the 1/4 panel was a transition from spatter to no spatter paint.

I think from the unrestored cars I have restored - all the 1/4 panels had was black primer on them and then the factory spatter paint as I noted above.
All the restored cars that are mostly original, that that I have seen, have spatter paint on the interior 1/4 panels and around the tailight like the factory.

When I had my 62 SS and other 62's over the years judged as original cars at 1000 point Late Great Chevys (58-64) shows the spatter paint not done like the factory painted them would be a deduct in points or a possible change in class.

You can do your car the way you want, I just noting how spatter painted trunks were done by the factory and what most owners of restored to mostly original cars who spatter paint their trunks.

Paul
Very good information there i will have to find some pictures of what it looks like both ways then to see which way i like more i didnt know if one way was the "correct factory" look and the other way would not be factory correct...if you have any pictures of the all inside spattered look id love to see them or even what your '62 trunk looked like....I suppose any other looks that would look clean and last a long time would be accepted as well for me im just in it for the clean factory look and durability

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8

Paul

Very detailed explanation Paul. I would add that on the 61 models, the trunk splatter paint on the Atlanta cars was applied after the interior was installed because the panel behind the rear seat was also covered with splatter. I don't know if the other plants did this and I don't know about the 62 or others.