Trunk weather stripping

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I don’t know what you call it but it’s the molding that goes around the trunk opening that holds the rubber that seals the trunk mine is rusted away in places so I bought this from a guy who said 61 is same as 62, now the fun part what’s the best way to replace?

bobs409

Administrator
If you mean the metal part going around the trunk opening, that is spot welded in about every inch or so. I think repro's are available but pricey! I re-used my originals as they were still good but lots of spot welds to deal with.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
That's what I am talking about, have a good one off a 61, supposed to fit a 62???? spot welds... grrrr I have a spot weld cutter is there a better way???

bobs409

Administrator
They are small ones, I'd use a sharp 1/4 inch drill bit. Run a wire brush in the channel and those spot welds will be visible.

bobs409

Administrator
You don't want to drill through the good piece if you can help it. If I recall, they weren't very strong welds. I'd slip a putty knife or similar in and do a little prying as you drill along. Just enough drilling to break the connection.

The reason I mention a drill bit is because some spot weld cutter are about 3/8 which is a bit of overkill. Especially if your putting that in the part your saving as you have to weld that shut again.