Trying to date code 58 Impala

jercars

I recently picked up a 58 impala and I'm trying to nail down or at least ballpark when the car was assembled. I'm fairly confident that it's a correct car which is great because it's a 348 tri-power turboglide car. I'm just hoping someone knows more than I do and can help me confirm it because I'm going cross eyed from searching the internet for information. The vin is F58K1646XX and the body number on the cowl tag is 74XX. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well.............you're ahead of the game so far!!! 58 tripower cars came with the Turboglide trans...and not with the Powerglide.
Congratulations!!!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Post a pic of your cowl tag, plus the casting numbers and date codes off your block, intake, and heads. Also, the stamped code from in front of the passenger head, and any aluminum tag numbers off the carb. You should be able to get close with this.

And welcome to 348-409, you'll love the crazy people you'll meet here, like Phil for instance.:D:D

Don

jercars

I've already date coded the engine. What I'm trying to do is figure out when the car itself was assembled to make sure the engine matches. Since they didn't VIN stamp the block in 58 all I can do is make sure all the dates are correct.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I recently picked up a 58 impala and I'm trying to nail down or at least ballpark when the car was assembled. I'm fairly confident that it's a correct car which is great because it's a 348 tri-power turboglide car. I'm just hoping someone knows more than I do and can help me confirm it because I'm going cross eyed from searching the internet for information. The vin is F58K1646XX and the body number on the cowl tag is 74XX. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have already been down the road your on with my 58. Here is what I CAN offer you..... my car is also a Kansas City Built car and my vin is 1728XXX so your car is earlier then my car. Kansas City produced roughly about 225 cars per day of which about 20-25 were convertibles per day. Doing rough math it puts your car about 36 days PRIOR to mine. My engine stamp is TI30G which translates to January 30, 1958 the block cast date was A-28-58 or January 28, 1958. The intake is dated A1658 and my distributor, starter, and generator all fall around the 2nd week of January. SO my best guess is my car was built in the first two weeks of February of 1958. Yours should be approximately a month and a few days earlier. The trim tag on mine is K6584. That should put you in the field box seats of the ball park. :bow GO CUBS GO :bow:bow

Chris

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Does this mean your body was built before mine but my car was assembled before yours?
Your car having a numerically lower VIN number and from the same plant means your car was produced before mine. The number on the trim tag has no correlation to the vin number IF somehow you had the build sheet it would match the build sheet, basically that was a number assigned by Fisher body to tell the workers what options the BODY needed to have for example was it a fender mounted antennae or rear quarter panel mounted. It means nothing once the body left Fisher. Vin number would have been assigned when the body and frame were married together. The partial Vin was stamped in the drivers side frame rail before the body drop. I have seen the vin stamped in front of and after the driveshaft tunnels on different frames out of the same plant.

Speaking as a Kansas City Royals fan..........................I want Ben Zobrist back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We like Ben, J-Hey is another story he can go back to the Cardnials as far as I'm concerned, If they send back a bag of balls and some chewing gum I would be fine. People forget how much the Cubs paid to have Edwin Jackson NOT pitch. :doh:doh

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
He's talking about the body number. If both your cars are Impalas, (hardtops, not convertibles) then the body numbers are relevant.
One has an earlier VIN but a later body number than the other….something is amiss unless one is a convert.
Of course, someone may have changed the cowl tag to get a different color or something but that seems a little extreme.
One possibility is that the earlier body number car may have been pulled out of line for some repair and re-inserted later in sequence before VIN assignment, if that's possible.