TUNED PORT INJECTION Q'S

425/409ER

Well Known Member
When I worked on those at the dealer and when they did not start we used to spray carb spray in the throttle, if it started then we pretty much knew it was a pump.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, have more info.
The noise is a very large amount of air being sucked through the air cleaner/throttle body.
Started up norml, when it gets to 175ish the plenum starts sucking a lot of air, very,very loud air flow sucking noise, the idle/low speed starts to sputter and maybe slight smoke from tail pipe then will die. Crank no start. Let it cool to 160ish and starts up, at first it still made the loud sucking air then calms down to normal and will run fine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The TPI would be fine but I'm thinking replacing with good old carb will be least expensive for me. I would have to take it to a shop diagnosis/repair and I know that will add up quick
I'll need intake/carb/fuel pump/distributor and a shorter throttle cable
Remove all the wires/sensors, just find the ignition 12v for new dist.
All I know about engine is it was purchased as crate engine(center bolt VC), has aluminum heads and the TPI is an Edelbrock Pro Flow (old style)

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Mike, get off of your wallet and bring it to a shop. I would check the coolant temp sensor first. If they are using the G.M. Style, they are quite prone to failure. A shorted oxygen sensor can act the same. Spending some money on your existing set up would be cheaper than redoing fuel delivery, intake, carb, distributor, tuning etc.......

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, get off of your wallet and bring it to a shop. I would check the coolant temp sensor first. If they are using the G.M. Style, they are quite prone to failure. A shorted oxygen sensor can act the same. Spending some money on your existing set up would be cheaper than redoing fuel delivery, intake, carb, distributor, tuning etc.......

You obviously don't live in Calif. Shop are outrageous thieves

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One of the problems with converting this is there are wires all over the place. It also has Dakota Digital dash, MSD 6, elec fan AC Have to figure out which wires are TPI and which need to stay.
I'll give a stab at trying to find a qualified shop, that won't be easy.