Tunnel rams are fun..no really they are

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So the sky clears for a few hours and off I go to test out my new toy..err toys. Let first bring everyone up to speed on some recent updates.
My former cam was a ISKY solid roller 640/640 312 duration 108 lobe center. Nasty muther. Well a roller lifters wheel went south and nocked it out on a lobe. So I decide since I am mostly street anyway with some track time I would go to an all hyd roller camshaft. Close to the specs above but a Comp Cam version. Special made Smith brothers pushrods, Harland Sharp rockers and girdle assembly.
The cam is pretty nasty sounding with a much faster ramp up then the ISKY, LUMP…LUMP vs LUMP..LUMP..LUMP if that makes any sense. Just listen to the video I posted.
The carbs I went with true blue 1966 AFB 625's completely redid by a guy in NM. Excellent work and a cool person to deal with. Now I am no Carter expert so with some fine tuning tips from you all and him they are humming excellent! And the 1465 needle and seats work very nice in the old AFB’s.
So now that everything is together and running good lets take it for a run! After a though warm up I took off for the country. The new cam is much louder than the old one was quickly noticed in some traffic as well as this giant shinny thing poking out. Was fun to watch people point at it and stare.
Anyway after a quick stop for gas out to the testing area. Long straight strip of road that is out of the way and hardly used. I can see all the way to the end and there’s no other feeds into it for traffic. Perfect!
So now comes the truth or dare. Light launch 3600 run through the gears. VERY NICE! But I want to feel a little more so next we take it to 5600 and punch on thru. There’s some hesitation but only slightly then it’s balls to the wall. You know when the world goes all quite and everything is moving in slow motion? Yup that’s this time. Then the roar come back and your hauling ***. Absolutely perfect. Of course she won’t hookup but that’s another project for this winter.
So do I like the tunnel ram. Yup! Might be a pain to get even one of these so called street rams right but I tell ya I may never go back to a single four again. What could be better? Hmmm you see there’s this 540 bow tie block and I figure……..

Well tic, despite the fact that this has nothing to do with a 348 / 409...
I agree fully...
once you have a tunnel ram, you never go back to something less.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Tic

i love it when i hear a guy just having fun being a gearhead! be safe, the public roads can be a dangerous place.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also stuck with the other big block. I'm thinking with my budget I probably need to stay stuck with it. LOL.