Twisted Valve covers

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I’m just disappointed Phil, it’s clearly not shipping damage and they didn’t own the problem. I’ve since fixed them sort of. The flanges are not as straight as they should be but they’ll do. Being in Canada it’s too hard to send back and the engine is going in the car Saturday.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m just disappointed Phil, it’s clearly not shipping damage and they didn’t own the problem. I’ve since fixed them sort of. The flanges are not as straight as they should be but they’ll do. Being in Canada it’s too hard to send back and the engine is going in the car Saturday.
The last word on any build is always "DON'T GET IN A HURRY". Even if you want it done Saturday, don't rush your build, it could be costly.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The last word on any build is always "DON'T GET IN A HURRY". Even if you want it done Saturday, don't rush your build, it could be costly.

I have valve covers on it. Those are the ones modified for the rocker clearance and look aweful. I’m not waiting another month and a half for covers to show up so I fixed the new ones. Car gets put away for the winter October 15.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have valve covers on it. Those are the ones modified for the rocker clearance and look aweful. I’m not waiting another month and a half for covers to show up so I fixed the new ones. Car gets put away for the winter October 15.
Valve covers aren't too important but the only engine I have ever blown was due to a valve cover leak. Oil leak that I didn't see out the back of the valve cover until it was to late. Never use dummy gauges ever since that motor let go. Sweet little 327 that came in my 64' 2dr sedan. :facepalm

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
On my first 63 back in 63 ss with 327 I lost a quart of oil in one night crusing around town. The rear intake gasket popped out (engine block replaced previously ) and I noticed it by seeing all the oil leak when parked next day. Might have smelled it too . Took in to dealer ,they replaced it and the next night the very same thing. Took it back replaced it free of course.

WINTERTEXAN

Well Known Member
I have had good relations with thousands of customers working for Show Cars for over 30 years.
It is amazing how once in a while leaving a conversation there a 2 different opinions on what the conclusion was.
First of all, we would never put a set of bent valve covers in a box and ship them.
How they got bent we have no idea but it happened after they left here.
Our response was for you to take them to your Post Office and refuse them because they were damaged.
I was about to call you when you called me and said “don’t worry about it, I was able to straighten them out.”
Our position is and always has been that they are insured, get them on the way back to us and we will replace them. All you had to do is refuse the shipment and we would have seen that it was on the way back to us, we would have taken it from there.

You say you waited over a month to get them? You gave me the order on the 10th of August and we shipped them on the 13th of August. You said you received them on Friday the 28th of August, that was 18 days from when you ordered them.
Of those 18 days probably at least 10 of them they sat in customs. Customs inspects the contents of packages to make sure what we say on the custom forms are in the package are actually in the package. Did something happen to them while they inspected the contents? You and I don’t know.
Here again, you receive damaged goods, refuse the shipment, it comes back, insurance covers it.

Phil Reed: After being a dealer for 25 years I am disappointed that you would suggest that we would send out damaged goods or refuse to do anything about this. You STILL have to file a claim to collect insurance.

We manufacture 29 variations of the 348/409 valve covers, (58 3x2, 59-61 3x2, 58 1x4 62 409, 63-64½ 409 with drippers, etc.) All assembled one set at a time in our fabricating shop.
Any one who suggests that they are stamped in China, chrome plated, thrown in a box and shipped to us so we can slap a shipping label on them is naive. Anybody is welcome to visit and observe our manufacturing process.

The last conversation we had was that you had fixed them and everything was fine. Tim, the offer still stands, get them on the way back to us and our insurance will replace them.

Bruce

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Bruce, I appreciate everything you said. My issue is dealing with insurance and my point maybe mistaken interpret was I’d have to wait another month to get a set. Filing an insurance claim through 2 post office organizations goes no where. Been there done that. I straightened them out the best I could epoxied the spacer plates to them and painted them. They are on the car now. If you saw the box you would understand if I took that to the post office as damage claim and there were no marks, holes, cuts in they would say my claim is unfounded(been there done that). They were packed in styrofoam from you and untouched. The box wasn’t even opened and there were no dents scratches or anything. Just twisted. No other marks of any kind. I’m with you that I don’t know how it happened other than in a temp -40 in cargo where they shrunk. It wasn’t transport damage. They were packed better than most would with no box damage. Am I completely happy with them? No because the flanges are not quite right and epoxying the spacers to the bottom should keep them straight. As for sending them back to you? I could but that’s my cost, plus customs etc. Then wait for another set to come. By that time I have to put the car away for the winter. Sorry Bruce, I fixed them the best I could and didn’t really feel like I had any option other than buying another set which I can’t afford.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This is them now and before

Attachments

• 807E7A54-2BA1-479F-A530-7548702C6DC9.jpeg
    807E7A54-2BA1-479F-A530-7548702C6DC9.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2F2946CC-0AC9-4813-8D7E-866DFDF06E16.jpeg
    2F2946CC-0AC9-4813-8D7E-866DFDF06E16.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 589C0BD8-112D-4DF9-88F2-737AB15BC232.jpeg
    589C0BD8-112D-4DF9-88F2-737AB15BC232.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 25
  • 55505BAE-59A4-4C96-86AA-260FE714525C.jpeg
    55505BAE-59A4-4C96-86AA-260FE714525C.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 25

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Don’t think we’ll ever know Mike. I believe Bruce when he says they didn’t leave like that but also believe the post office didn’t damage them. I think they got cold in an airplane and shrunk. I have a friend that’s a pilot and he says it’s possible. Being in another country with international shipment makes things 10 times worse it’s so hard to return things

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It’s not anybody’s fault, you’re right mike I fixed them and had to epoxy they spacers to keep them straight. I had to put them on because the old ones the rockers were hitting the covers. Can’t run it like that. I have to put it away In a month and have to run it to do that.
Bruce, In no way will this deter me from me buying again and there will be again. I’ve learned the procedure out of this. Based on what you said I misunderstood that I had to file the claim. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have had good relations with thousands of customers working for Show Cars for over 30 years.
It is amazing how once in a while leaving a conversation there a 2 different opinions on what the conclusion was.
First of all, we would never put a set of bent valve covers in a box and ship them.
How they got bent we have no idea but it happened after they left here.
Our response was for you to take them to your Post Office and refuse them because they were damaged.
I was about to call you when you called me and said “don’t worry about it, I was able to straighten them out.”
Our position is and always has been that they are insured, get them on the way back to us and we will replace them. All you had to do is refuse the shipment and we would have seen that it was on the way back to us, we would have taken it from there.

You say you waited over a month to get them? You gave me the order on the 10th of August and we shipped them on the 13th of August. You said you received them on Friday the 28th of August, that was 18 days from when you ordered them.
Of those 18 days probably at least 10 of them they sat in customs. Customs inspects the contents of packages to make sure what we say on the custom forms are in the package are actually in the package. Did something happen to them while they inspected the contents? You and I don’t know.
Here again, you receive damaged goods, refuse the shipment, it comes back, insurance covers it.

Phil Reed: After being a dealer for 25 years I am disappointed that you would suggest that we would send out damaged goods or refuse to do anything about this. You STILL have to file a claim to collect insurance.

We manufacture 29 variations of the 348/409 valve covers, (58 3x2, 59-61 3x2, 58 1x4 62 409, 63-64½ 409 with drippers, etc.) All assembled one set at a time in our fabricating shop.
Any one who suggests that they are stamped in China, chrome plated, thrown in a box and shipped to us so we can slap a shipping label on them is naive. Anybody is welcome to visit and observe our manufacturing process.

The last conversation we had was that you had fixed them and everything was fine. Tim, the offer still stands, get them on the way back to us and our insurance will replace them.

Bruce
My statement above: "LOL! They claim to make them? You mean they pay an asian company to stamp them, chrome them, box them and deliver to Show-Cars warehouse. LOL, I'd love to visit Show-Cars and watch them punch out, chrome and box up my valve covers before I take them home. That would be a blast to do!"
I purchased a set of your valve covers (#6755 as hand written on the side of the box and not in my hand writting.) and they were in fact made in Taiwan. I have the box they came in along with the packing material that came with them which is clearly marked Made in Taiwan. (Full discloser they were purchased 3 or 4 years ago.) Your statement: "Any one who suggests that they are stamped in China, chrome plated, thrown in a box and shipped to us so we can slap a shipping label on them is naive." I'll let you explain further because I don't feel naive but maybe I'm missing something as you claim: "All assembled one set at a time in our fabricating shop."
Do you in fact assemble ALL one set at a time in your shop now because when I ordered valve covers from you they weren't made in the U.S. .
25%a.jpg25%b.jpg25%c.jpg25%d.jpg

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Could the paper be from something else? I would think the sticker has to be on the cover for any customs stuff