Two post lift

Clint

Well Known Member
I am going to be purchasing a new lift soon and was wondering if anyone here has ordered from Greg Smith equipment?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tooth, is that the source you recently got your lift from (Catawissa, MO)? Not sure where that is.

I contacted that guy near Springfield, MO, that I believe you (Tooth) dealt with. I think those were "Champion" brand and the guy wanted to slap a tariff charge and some other incidentals, must be a Chinese product?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Well Clint, I have no personal experience with their 2 post hoist, but I have an alignment kit from them on my Danmar 4 post hoist. I would think their products would meet the minimum standards. Bare bones functional. I would spend a little more for a bigger name product with better support and parts availability if needed. I have used Bend Pak, Eagle, Danmar, and another one I can’t remember I my shop. The Danmar Eagle, and Bend Pak have been the best quality. My bend Pak is 21 years old, and has been used commercially the whole time. It still is used everyday.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a Challenger two post. Assymetrical arms. 9000 lbs. works great never any issues. I have an Atlas 9000 lbs 4 post from Greg Smith and it creeps if not on locks. When on locks the cables will slack from creeping from just the cable weight. It’s used for storage. Also has wheel kit to move it around in shop. Moves easily even with car on it. Have not seen a two post in action that he sells. :dunno

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Although my shop is set up and wired/plumbed for two lifts, so far I only have a Rotary asymetrical 2-post. It is a commercial level lift and it is a great product. At 10-years old, I have had no problems with it. The higher end Bend-Pak lifts are also pretty good. I would avoid the imports and the cheap "parking" lifts. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. Do you really want to be standing under the cheapest lift?

Things to consider are weight capacity, height, interlocks and quality of construction. Although I have a 2-post and plans for a second 4-post lift, if I could only get one lift, I think I would get a 4-post. They support the vehicle much better and are less subject to a vehicle moving/falling if the weight shifts, such as removing transmissions, engines, rear ends, gas tanks, etc. They are easier to work on suspensions, but if you get the rolling jacks for a 4-post, you can have the best of both worlds. Personally, I would not have a movable 4-post. I do not like the idea that the lift legs are not firmly affixed to the ground when I have 5000 lbs or so over my head. Also, at 6' 3" tall, I look for a lift that will put and hold both a hot rod (lowered suspension) and truck (higher suspension) high enough that I can stand up under them. It really gets to your back when you have to hunker down to work on things overhead without being able to stand up straight. Lastly, make certain that your floor is strong enough to handle the load of mounting a lift to it. A lot of residential homes do not have the thickness or quality of concrete necessary to support mounting a lift to it safely.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got a mostly Chinese (I think) Eagle 4-post. It is still upright and only drips a little.

If I had it to do over, I would only buy a Bend-Pak, and add the trolley jack. I have seen many different brands in various shops. I'd also stick with the 4-post for what I do.