Two post lift

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Is it advisable to use a four post without fastening it to the floor?

Reason I ask is I had planned for a two post lift in a rather narrow area (14-15 feet wide) and placed the radiant heat tubing around (outside of) what would be a two post lift. If I went with a four post in that same area I'd be concerned about the location of the fasteners in the 6 inch concrete flooring with radiant tubing.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Clint, my son Mark, has a Greg Smith lift. It's a Atlas 9,000, 2 post lift. He uses it, every day.:applNever a problem, with it. When he ordered the first one, it would have been Too High.:doh He called them up, and told them he needed the shorter one. They told him, the first lift is already on the way. They cancelled the first lift. They worked a deal with him, that he only needed to pay half the shipping on the second lift. Greg Smith is an Awesome Company, to deal with.:winner

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have had a 4 post lift in my garage for over 15 years and have never fastened it down. I only use it for stacking 2 cars and only lift it high enough to park my Corvette under. My opinion is a 2 post is good for working on cars and a 4 post is good for stacking cars, I know you can work on cars on a 4 post lift but if you are working on the suspension a 2 post would be better suited.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don't skimp on the weight of your life no matter what you buy. I have worked under lots of 2 and 4 post lifts. You know when the car is a little heavy for the lift. It's just not worth it.

bobs409

Administrator
Never fastened mine and don't plan on it. Over the years I've heard many that do the same.

They sell casters for these so you can move them around. I don't believe fastening them is required.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
They look very nice, similar to the Bend Pak GP lifts. Most of the new stuff features external sliders, seems to be the best design. It's also nice if you can get 120v configurations for what most of us are doing.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Bought a 4 post Rotary in 2002 and it has been the best piece of shop equipment I've ever owned....:good
Not fastened and I have c/o transmissions, gas tanks and rear ends, etc with lotsa pulling and pushing and never
a hint of movement......:cool:
Bought a a 4 post Direct Lift about 7 years ago mainly for storage and in about another year or two it will have paid
for itself in storage charges.......:D........I will re/re a transmission on the Direct lift soon, no problem.
Not being tied down allows you to move them around and Rotary said you could even move it around with a car on it
(not up of course) but not recommended as it can get away pretty quick with that kind of weight........:confused.

hoist 1.jpg
hoist 4.jpg

Last edited:

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I bought a used/like new Forward Lift about 4 years ago from privately owned individual. It’s a four post and is made by Rotary Lifts for home use. Don’t have it bolted down and is solid as a rock. Not an ounce of trouble with anything. Always use a lift in a locked position on each post when under it - never between locked positions. I’m 6’4” and can stand under it. Love it and is probably the best investment made for working on vehicles. You will ”learn” to duck your head when going under the rails in and out from under it. If you don’t, you’ll become an astronomer very quickly - by seeing the “stars”. My worst time, I took a knee. No protesting, just stars.

Fuzz

MAGA

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Bernie, how tall are your ceilings that allow that "stacked" configuration?

I have some 10 foot ceilings in one section of the mancave. The main section is much taller, but that's where I had planned for the two post lift to reside.

Cheers! TomK

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Bernie, how tall are your ceilings that allow that "stacked" configuration?

I have some 10 foot ceilings in one section of the mancave. The main section is much taller, but that's where I had planned for the two post lift to reside.

Cheers! TomK
Ceilings are 12' high......recommended 14' so I don't use the last latch on either hoist.....:rolleyes
It is possible but that leaves inches to spare........:confused. I'm 6' 2" and I've lotsa room under either hoist.....:good
and always wear a soft bump hat under there.........:wtf

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I've done the same thing, Fuzz, many times.:doh If I'm not banging my head, I'm smashing my back, going under. My ceiling is only 10 feet high. I can't get the car up, all the way.:dunno That's fine. I have a nice chair, with wheels. :clapWhen you reach a certain age, your body, tells you, it's time, to stop laying on the ground. Best investment, I ever made.:good