Type of screw behind steering wheel.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I bought a red Bel Air steering wheel. What kind of head is the screw, hex or allen? I can t get a # 2 phillips in the hole on the back to remove the horn assembly. Thank you for your response.

4spd409

Well Known Member
I believe they used what is called a clutch head. Kind of looks like a bowtie. A real one not the chevy kind. You can usually find a straight slot screwdriver that will work.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I have a long cabinet slotted screw driver but it does not fit either. Hard to see down there, trying to clean it out. Thank you 4speed 409.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Those 61-64 steering wheel screws are normally “ clutch head“ as already stated here.
You should be able to buy “ individual“ clutch head screw drivers at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards or a parts store that has a good supply of tools.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I think he means the screws in the back side of steering wheel in the recessed holes . I was thinking they were a hex head like 3/32 . It has to be thin wall deep socket ???? Maybe I am wrong on size. I converted mine to a different size,so I can't be sure. The clutch screws are used in the disc wafer for horn in the front of wheel.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
To remove the horn assembly as he states - you have to remove the 3 original clutch head screws just below the round cap on 61 & 62 Chevy Belair steering wheels

heddrik

Well Known Member
Thank you gentlemen. I have 3 phillips screws in the center of my wheel, wondering why there are the two tiny holes on the back, they don't seem to serve any purpose? Until Paul stated above I thought , duh, the two tiny holes were what held horn assembly together because I remembered? a conversation here about them?? Obviously my memory failed me yet again. Thank you all for your help.