U joint phasing

58impala

Well Known Member
I replaced all the U joints and center support bearing today on my 58 Impala and when I noticed the U joint forks were not in phase. The rear half of the drive shaft has the forks in phase and these are welded on. The front half has the forks 90 deg out of phase. I checked the shop manual and this is correct. It seems to me that this would create drive line vibration but GM must have a reason for doing it this way. Can anyone shed some light on this? Just like to understand the reason why.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
for lack of a good responce,, just think about that,,
At 90* it allows both drive lines to bend,,,

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Jim, Hope this helps.....

Attachments

• DSCF0530.jpg
    DSCF0530.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF0531.jpg
    DSCF0531.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 240

58impala

Well Known Member
Ronnie, that's pretty much what the shop manual describes and they call it "in phase". It seems to me that what you have with a two piece driveshaft is in fact two drive shafts supported in the middle with a support bearing. I've built several street rods using rack & pinion connected to the steering column with miniature U joints and most of the time using three U joints and a support bearing. It seems to me the principal of operation would be the same. Borgeson and Flaming River ( I've used them both) both state that correct phasing is when both forks on the same shaft are on the same plane. They state that out of phase joints (according to their definition) causes hard spots in the steering every time the joint turns over. Since most if not all of the 348-409 cars had the two piece driveshaft I thought someone might have the explanation. Not that I'm having a vibration problem............just curious. Here's another thought..........all one piece driveshafts have the forks on the same plane.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, I don't have a technical explaination. I would guess it has something to do with the splined center section. I'm sure Aubrey could explain. I do know one thing though, it is absolutely crucial that when having the front section shortened that a referance line is painted on the shaft ( or tape ) so that the shop rewelds the shaft back exactly as it was. I made that mistake many years ago and it was vibration deluxe. Couldnt keep a carrier in that car at all. Finally figured it out after using a different driveshaft. Maybe that will help someone in the future. :)

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got a computer program that's used for setting the driveline angles of large trucks. They can get pretty complicated by the time you factor in several shafts and hanger bearings. Anyway, according to this program either phasing will work but one way works a little smoother. I can't remember which was the preferred phasing but I'm guessing it was the factory setup.:scratch

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When Boise Driveline did mine the stuck the whole assembly on a balancer and spun it. It is exactly like the factory setup but has small ammount of wieght in one spot.
They where the only shop here in the valley that asked for the whole assembly so the could properly balance it. That's the only way to go in my book.

58impala

Well Known Member
Update on U joint phasing

I still dont have an understanding about the phasing of the forks on the front shaft............still researching that. Here's what I wound up doing. New U joints and center support bearing, added 1/8" shim under the tranny mount and removed two shims two shims on the rear upper control arm/saddle. These adjustments were necessary to bring the angles into specs because the springs have a little sag in them so the car sits lower than original. I don't plan on replacing the springs, I kinda like the "look". The car runs smooth as silk at all speeds. I'm still curious about the fork phasing...........may be one of lifes unanswered questions. :cheers

58impala

Well Known Member
Models916, That's great information on the links provided and thanks for posting that , but.................that still doesn't explain why the GM shop manual states in bold type that on the front shaft (two piece driveshaft) the U joint forks must be 90 deg from each other. The info on your links, unless I missed something, states the contrary. They say the yokes must be on the same plane for each shaft. I'm still confused.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
No movement

There is no up and down or sidways movement in the front driveshaft to the center bearing. Must be the difference.

58impala

Well Known Member
I'm going to the Goodguys Southern Nationals at the Atlanta Speedway next weekend and I'm sure there will be some driveshaft vendors there. Maybe I can get an answer. If I do I'll let you know.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Models916, That's great information on the links provided and thanks for posting that , but.................that still doesn't explain why the GM shop manual states in bold type that on the front shaft (two piece driveshaft) the U joint forks must be 90 deg from each other. The info on your links, unless I missed something, states the contrary. They say the yokes must be on the same plane for each shaft. I'm still confused.

Driveshafts revisited................................................

I'm in a heated discussion about my driveshaft shortening, with the company in Denver that usually does my work. Do you have a copy of the service manual about the yokes being 90 degrees off on the front driveshaft?

Thanks, Dave

belair6162

Well Known Member
Driveshafts revisited................................................

I'm in a heated discussion about my driveshaft shortening, with the company in Denver that usually does my work. Do you have a copy of the service manual about the yokes being 90 degrees off on the front driveshaft?

Thanks, Dave

DITTO !!!!

After thinking about this post for some time,last sunday i looked under the car only to find the front shaft out of phase and the support bearing trashed.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can't say what is correct or incorrect. The magazine article cited early in this thread is authored by Doug Marion. I accept his explaination and followed the instructions in the article ( several years ago ) and have not lost a driveshaft carrier since then.

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phasing

Guys. I just talked with a retired GM teacher from training center. The front shaft yokes needs to be 90deg of phase and the rear yokes lined up with each other. Reason is the( constant velocity ). He will try to look up tech info on this and send to me and I will post... Ok:cheers :clap I know where my < Vibe >is now. Had my shaft made up and they put the yokes in line. :doh After all the checking and re-do etc!!! Betcha thats where it is. On a single shaft line up the yokes. Mike

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
I'm thinking of 90 degrees out of phase.

Then my shop said because I'm running a billet urethane carrier bearing that I should run a telescoping rear yoke. $600.00

I told him "No thanks, I'll take my chances."

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mile hi

If you have a two piece drive shaft......the front section is 90deg from one another...the rear section is lined up. no matter what.. I amgoing to the teacher tomorrow and will try to post the tech terms:doh hope to help all here. I know mine was wrong. Thanks to 58 for prompting this discussion