Under hood light

bobs409

Administrator
Not sure on these years but if I recall correctly the 68-72 Chevelles had it driver side. I think it plugged into the horn relay for the 71-72 which was located on firewall there. I would think they were all there.

I didn't even know our old Impala's had this option.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I didn't even know our old Impala's had this option.[/QUOTE]

Neither did I as never seen one either. I’m going to have to go to the books tomorrow on this one. That is unless Cecil has it in front of him.
Robert

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm going too take a uneducated guess middle of the hood so you could see the engine bay :drinking behind the carb or carbs for clearance :drinking

bobs409

Administrator
Here is where a Chevelle is:

6b5oIUtqvTk6dHbRVKML9tZ39yJnimhmbhUpNOc29JgnH-hYsXzN9bZ6zFUOD6w4C1RJiHqLDW7iTHDd6SCCsf4G88Uw

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thats a good question, I have never seen one on an ol Chebby (64 an older) but that doesn't mean they weren't available.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I didn't remember it being available when I ordered my car, I think I would have gotten it. So I did some checking. According to GM Heritage 1964 it was not available as a factory option. But it was listed as a dealer installed accessory.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 1963 Assembly Manual does not show an under hood light. The courtesy lights and a trunk light are what was available. my favorite is an auxiliary Ash Tray mounted under the dash by the radio. I thought it was for customers who smoked SO much that the regular ash tray was insufficient. I think that actually in one option the regular ash tray got replaced by an a/c vent, this leaving no ash tray - a mortal sin at the time....

My 2 cents

Chip

Junky

Well Known Member
The auxiliary ash tray came about because of the center air conditioning vent on the dash. When the air conditioning was on high, and the regular ash tray was used, the ashes would get blown out of the ash tray. The solution was to install an ash tray under the dash, and not open the ash tray that was in the dash. Not being a smoker, I used the lower one for toll receipts, and the one in the dash never got opened. My car was a 1964, and I have no idea if this secondary ash tray was used on the 1963. Now doubt that it was an after thought by Chevrolet, so there probably is a technical service bulletin on the secondary ash tray.