Unexpected 63 Impala Project

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well, I've met my limits of intellect and patience. Everything to include the original motor , engine stand, carbs, intakes for $60k and I'm loosing a ton. Bring a trailer and haul it all off

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
WOW !!!!! that's a switch............. last I looked you were "all pumped up"......

What happened?:dunno

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Cajun temper won out over patience. The only thing that worked out so far was the Jack Gibbs motor. All else has turned to crap. Great finishing project for someone else smarter than me.

D

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Not knowing your situation I think you should take a step back , Take a couple of deep breaths and maybe everything will turn out all right !!:hug You needa a hug ??? We're all here for you.

:crazy:dance:cheers

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, I've met my limits of intellect and patience. Everything to include the original motor , engine stand, carbs, intakes for $60k and I'm loosing a ton. Bring a trailer and haul it all off

OK, we all know this feeling.:cuss:cuss:cuss:bat
Sometimes you just have to take a few days off to gather your energy, then just tackle one small job at a time.
That will be a killer car when it's done. :clap

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
X3..........:scratch
As Jim says.......I've been there many, many times......you
have to get away from it..........watch others and get inspired again....:)
Almost sold this project cause there was a bunch of little stuff
that kept upsetting me but friends and family kicked in and hopefully
this year my 63 will be out cruisin'..........:pray
You got a great lookin' car and killer motor..........get her done...:bat

:cheers
bj

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
seriously, whats left, car looks killer , get that motor in ,interior looks good, drive the hell out of it,don't give up , wish mine was that close ,hang in there............

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don't give up. That Chevy is too nice to possibly get into the wrong hands. :no

Lonnie

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dont Do It.
I got frustrated with my 56 Belair project years ago when i was young and my father drove 400Miles and picked it up and towed it back home when i said i was going to sell it.
Thank him every other day for that as i would not be where i am now if i had not carried on and finished it.
JMHO

Steve

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
SOrry to hear you are tired of the project. Hopefully you decide against selling the car but if you do, might I encourage you to buy a "completed" car then instead? These cars are a lot of fun. Would hate for you to lose out completely on such a great car/motor!

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have all been there mate. I for one, really know your pain.

I certainly don't have the required skills to finish my project, and need to rely on others. But I was constantly let down.

Rather the throw the towel in, I put the big girl in storage and forgot about it.

I have just starting looking around the forum again, starting to get back in the right frame of mind. Basically have not touched anything or thought about the car for over 12 months.

Instead, I focused on having a nice holiday and building some bikes.

The next step for you, walk away and get some space for a bit. Then with a clear head look at what issues you face. Make a list and of concerns and post them on this forum. Everybody is so helpful and will point you in the right direction.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Building a car is very similar to building a house or other monumental project. If you look only at the whole project it very quickly can become overwelming and depressing. That is due to the seemingly small amount of progress that can sometimes seem to occur. I have been bulding on my 35 chevy with the 409 in it for about 10 years on and off,I understand your frustration, truely I do. But, do this, as was suggested above, make your self a list of what needs to be done, make each one of those points an achievable goal, and you will find that if you see these as completed goals, check them off the list, your frustration level will diminish greatly. Also do something everyday,even if it is just to go sit and think about what you should do next. Take heart in what you have done already and do not lose site of your ultimate goal.

GoodLuck and stay with it
Big Jim

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well, I took everyone's advice. I stepped way back, got some good help, and I'm on track again. Here's the update. Car is a handful with this motor and 4.11's.

The clutch return spring mount was something I struggled over to find the right position as to not rub the Stahl headers. Finally work it out and was really simple once it was figured out!

Attachments

• IMG_9849.jpg
    IMG_9849.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9852.jpg
    IMG_9852.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9853.jpg
    IMG_9853.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9854.jpg
    IMG_9854.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 43

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Found a great 409 alternator mounting bracket that was a snap with no modifications.

Shot of the mounted Stahl's

Attachments

• IMG_9855.jpg
    IMG_9855.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9856.jpg
    IMG_9856.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 39

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I really wanted to run the pictured air cleaner. Problem is, the hood wouldn't close. Careful measurements and a die cutter fit the bill. A little harder than that, but the end result is a 1/2 inch clearance between hood and air cleaner. Ready to block sand and paint the hood hot rod black until I decide when to strip and paint car. This is a very subtle modification than a casual look would miss by non chevy folks.

Attachments

• IMG_9857.jpg
    IMG_9857.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9858.jpg
    IMG_9858.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9862.jpg
    IMG_9862.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9864.jpg
    IMG_9864.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9868.jpg
    IMG_9868.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 34

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Tired of looking for GOOD original hinges. Ring Bros. worked out great. Love'em

Attachments

• IMG_9859.jpg
    IMG_9859.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9860.jpg
    IMG_9860.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 28

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Griffen "Exact Fit " 409 radiator fell right in. Found a great custom exhaust place to run full length exhaust with better than expected ground clearance with a cross-over to boot. I do like these Stahl headers. Old hat for most of you, but I am in for the nostalgia too.

Attachments

• IMG_9865.jpg
    IMG_9865.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9867.jpg
    IMG_9867.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 24