Unexpected 63 Impala Project

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I'am glad you stayed with your project, it looks great and sounds likes it runs the same, many including myself have wanted to give up but in the end it's worth it! Pat:clap

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Your 63 looks great.....congrats on the fine work.......:cool:
Love those hinges....:beer......do you have a link to their source?

Hope to have my 63 Belair finished soon.........couple times I walked away from it
but my wife, son and friends all kept pushing me.....get out there.......
It will be out this year for sure.

:cheers
bj

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
So glad you stayed with it:clap
I wish you many miles of smiles and happiness in your 409

Steve

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Your 63 looks great.....congrats on the fine work.......:cool:
Love those hinges....:beer......do you have a link to their source?

Hope to have my 63 Belair finished soon.........couple times I walked away from it
but my wife, son and friends all kept pushing me.....get out there.......
It will be out this year for sure.

:cheers
bj
Type in Ring Brothers hinges in your computer and it will give you several sources. I think I ordered mine from Summit

Ellis

Nice work!! I just got my 35 Chevy on the road with my Jack Gibbs built stroker 409. Sounds like you went through a bit of hell there, I can relate to that. Sometimes you've got to walk away from it for awhile. Good choice on the Griffin radiator, that's what I got for my 35, I'm running Evans coolant, it runs nice and cool, it stays at 180, if I'm in traffic it'll get up to 195 then the electric fan kicks on and brings it right back down.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Nice work!! I just got my 35 Chevy on the road with my Jack Gibbs built stroker 409. Sounds like you went through a bit of hell there, I can relate to that. Sometimes you've got to walk away from it for awhile. Good choice on the Griffin radiator, that's what I got for my 35, I'm running Evans coolant, it runs nice and cool, it stays at 180, if I'm in traffic it'll get up to 195 then the electric fan kicks on and brings it right back down.
The car hasn't seen 180 yet, but the only time the temperature here in Ct has reached 70 degrees, I was at work. Last evening at 55 degrees, it barely made it to 140. We'll see how she holds at higher temps soon enough I suppose.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Just noticed the thread this AM and read it from the beginning. What a great story and an even better finished product.

I'll echo the sentiments of all the other's on here in saying we're glad you decided to stick with it and take it across the finish line. I know all to well the amount of $$ it takes to bring a 63 back to where it should be.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
I too am using Evans coolant in my 35 2 door sedan, it runs cool as you said. I was having some timing issues and fuel problems with it last year while we were at the Frog Follies and in traffic going out of the fairgrounds it reached 235 but as advertised did not puke, steam or do anything funny. Didn't move 1/4 mile @ speed and it dropped like a stone to 180 (thermostat opening) I like it a lot. The primary reason we went that way was corrosion elimination, I took it apart this winter and everything was as clean as the day it was assembled, aluminum parts and all.
I digress, anyway glad to see your still with it and it looks great.

Big Jim

Ellis

The corrosion elimination was my main reason as well, you have a vintage 409 block and it's been subjected to 50 years of various combinations of water and anti freeze and who knows how bad it is inside, at least under my ownership, it won't get any worse.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I've heard of Evans coolants but don't know much about them. Do they allow the engine to run cooler or just allow an engine to operate efficiently at a higher temperature without boiling off?

Ellis

I did a lot of research into Evans before I decided to try it, the boiling point is around 350 degrees F so it won't boil. The BTU transfer rate is slightly less than a water antifreeze mix which is the negative, I talked to an Evans rep and he said that it eliminates hot spots where water / antifreeze mix will tend to boil in areas around the combustion chamber when the engine gets hot, steam pockets don't transfer heat, since Evans doesn't boil, it gets the heat out of those areas much better so overall it does a better job. He also mentioned that hot spots cause knocking so getting the heat out of those areas would help reduce knocking in high compression engines. Sounded good to me. Evans is not compatible with regular antifreeze or water so you have to flush out and drain the block before putting in Evans, also, Evans is expensive but since its a lifetime coolant, never needs changing, it can ultimately be cheaper.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
I echo what Ellis said, it is not that it will make them run cooler but makes the system more efficient. Next time your in the kitchen take a little water in a pan and boil it. Watch the bubbles dance as it gets close to boil? that's what happens inside an engine at 200+so if I could get the "steam pockets" out and make it not want to puke if it got out of its "comfort zone" I found it to be a good thing to do. We have been conditioned for soo long to be looking at that temp gage as protecting the engine when its not that at all. It is protecting the cooling system. Look at your header temps 350-500 deg we don't think anything of that? I think water wetter and all of that stuff is snake oil. Look at what your New Car runs at 210_220 normal they are more efficient at that. That's all.