Unidentifiable Small Block

BigT

Good day,

I've been searching trying to find the correct information for an engine suffix code from a 1965 Impala SS.

While I can find the right year range using the engine casting number, the date code doesn't seem to match the casting. Additionally, the block is stamped with an unusual code, which I believe now may have been the result of a visually impaired assembler as the month/day code is odd.

I'll need to figure out how to upload my images, but here's the information

Block Casting: 3858174 = 64-67 327
Block Casting Date: D118 = would seem to indicate April 11, 1968
Block Suffix Code F04IOEA - This is not found.... The "I" is clearly an "I" stamped in the block and the O is clearly a different shape that the "zero" used for the o4.
Alternatives - E0410EA
F0410FA
Unfortunately the suffix code isn't stamped very well on the engine pad.

More information -
1965 Chevrolet Impala SS
4 Spd
Posi Differential.

Thanks and hopefully we can figure something out!

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is some info from a chilton manual, showing EA and FA applications. Keep in mind , 67 and earlier have small journal rods and mains, where as 68 and later has the larger journals.

BigT

Awesome, Thanks everybody - I did find one listing almost immediately after posting the original message, but seeing all those old book pages is very awesome. I have some of my dads original manuals stored away, maybe I should get those things out.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Sounds like someone put a 66 327/275 horse long block in that '65.The '62-67 327 blocks were all interchangeable anyway. They all had steel crankshafts, as well.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Now, here's an odd one. Small journal 327, screw on oil filter like the 68 on up engines, ends in casting # 512, next to the cam tunnel under the timing chain cover is an 010 over an 020 number like the 4 bolt main 350's. If it was a 512 block like I described, it's a service replacement block for the small journal 327's. They had a high nickel content like the 010 010/020 350 blocks had, and they are a good piece if you want to build a fast 327. Not real common, however.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 3959512 casting was a service only block based on the 68 large journal block casting and was machined in different configurations to service the small journal or large journal 327 engines under the GM 5 year warranty program in 68. It was cast with the crankcase vent provision so it could be machined for early 327 application or left un-machined for 68 and later application.
There were a whole series of service castings with the 395 series numbers starting in 68 for the various early engines that were no longer in production.
3959512 327 pass and truck
3959532 283 pass and truck
3959534 283 Chevy II with recessed oil filter boss
3959538 327 Chevy II with recessed oil filter boss

These were available over the counter also but were primarily designed for the CE replacement program. Most of them that I have seen were cast in late 68 to 69 and were stamped with the CE sequential numbers on the pad. The one in my 67 Nova is a 3959538 and was cast in 69. It was likely replaced under the warranty program.

Also on the "010/020 high nickle" blocks, that is a popular myth. There was nothing cast on the blocks that indicated the metallurgy of the casting. The 010 and 020 numbers on the front of the block under the timing chain cover are the last 3 digits of the casting numbers of the other blocks in production at the time that used the same front mold pattern. You will find other numbers on the front of other years accordingly as in the 348/409 blocks. Most will have 011 and 914 or 422 in that location indicating the other castings using that same front mold pattern. Check other blocks as well. The 010/020 didn't start appearing until the 010 block came out in late 69. Any 3959512 block with 010/020 on the front would have been cast after the 010 block was introduced.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Definitely. Ever see a SBC block that had the boss in the rear for a draft tube or the pre-68 PCV fitting, only it wasn't ever opened up? That had to be a service replacement block of some sort. Also, the 64-67 Nova 283 block with the recessed screw on oil filter. Some of my Stock Eliminator friends had a few of those and they had massively thick cylinder walls. Seems the factory also sized them out to 4" bore sizes for the 327 Novas.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Talking of Novas and crazy engine configurations, a now defunct shop in the area had a few hot rodders working there, and had a lot of parts in the back room. An old guy came in with a very tired 71 C-10 pickup, 307,350 trans, whatever, and wanted the engine replaced. Well, 307's never were in great demand,although they ran pretty well, so he calls his jobber for a price and availability on a rebuilt short block. Seems the jobber had one on the floor in the customer's area as part of a display for rebuilt engines. It had been there several years, was .030" over, and just needed to be washed off and installed. Parts store sold it to the shop for $150 outright, no core necessary, just to get rid of it. The shop brought it back and was getting ready to start installing it and the truck owner called and decided he wanted one of those Goodwrench new 350's that had just come out, so he bought that. With the intake and carb and parts from the 307. customer was gone and happy as a clam, but the shop had this rebuilt 307 on it's hands they couldn't return. Upon a second look, the rebuilt engine had a rare steel large journal crank,like the corvette 327 in '68, and the hi-po Chevelle 325horse 327 had.That obviously came out and was dedicated to a higher use. It also was .010/.010. One of the guys did some simple math, and decided that a 3.480 stroke 350 crank, the .030" over pistons and block, and the rods out of a 400 small block,at.5.55" or so, would result in a 328 cubic inch small block. He did need to deck the block .030" or so, and rebalance this thing after he checked the bottom end for any interference points, but he put some decent heads on this concoction with a decent cam, and put it in a 66 Nova with a 350 trans, and it ran pretty strong.