Universal joints.......

Junky

Well Known Member
One of my winter projects is to replace the carrier bearing on my wagon, and I figured out that I might as well do the universal joints as long as I have it apart. I was just looking on Rock Auto, and the selection is endless, from a low of about $7 for an AC Delco to a high of $20+ for one that has the grease fitting on the end cap. There is actually one from a company that I never heard of for $4.16, and it has a grease fitting! The car is a driver with a 327/300 and a powerglide trans / 3.08 posi. It isn't a turtle, but I don't drive it like a jack rabbit. The car weighs about 500 pounds more than the average wagon, because of the raised roof. lighting, & siren. What are your suggestions? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...id+v8,1324662,drivetrain,universal+joint,2392

amb-2.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My wagon has Heavy duty sealed U-joints made by Spicer if I remember right. I picked a brand I know from my Wheeling 4x4 days, never have an issue. That wouldn't be needed in your application though. I'd buy Moogs for your baby and get the ones you can grease. I plan on taking mine apart every other year or so and you won't need to grease them until they come apart again. Though your car is heavier than even my 9 passenger with a dual quad W motor in it, you aren't going to launch down the track with yours on weekends so go with what makes sense. :good

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The GMB brand is a cheap replacement part they make a lot of different parts especially water pumps which our mediocre. Advanced auto parts sells that brand, I’m a fan of the ac delco myself moog is good but I don’t believe they are the A level part that they once where. I will say with all the service work I do I try to get the ac delco if I can for any make or model but I think your safe with moog, spicer, ac delco, precision.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My driveshaft guy says that the U joints with zerk grease fittings are weaker than the U joints that have sealed bearings.
That depends on where the zerk is. Some brands offer them built into the caps where they have no effect on the main body of the u-joint. Just keep in mind that you would need to use different retainer clips than the factory style to hold them in place. More of a snap ring with two little loops on it to keep the center opening clear for the zerk to mount in the cap. Considering this is not a strip car we are talking about this style of u-joint would work fine for his application. If the RPM were going to be higher then I would say stick to the sealed u-joints without a zerk on them.