Unmolested from 1918

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Back before 409's, I had an extensive gun collection. And being to old crow that I am, if it's shiny and pretty, I want it!...... One seldom finds these old 03's that have not been arsenal reworked several times. This is a 1905 receiver that was re-barreled probably right after WW1 during the massive rebuild that occurred when these rifles were refurbished and returned to stores after the War. This guns screams of being untouched after the WW1 arsenal rebuild. The serial number is very low, and was originally single heat treated and considered to brittle to use modern ammo in today..... Gun has the original straight bolt and rare original stock. As far as I can tell, the magazine cut-off, barrel and serrated butt was the only items replaced during the rebuild.

At any rate, a good sales item to further "the project":) Nice piece of US history.

20180225_131052.jpg20180225_131246.jpg20180225_131123.jpg20180225_131137.jpg20180225_131226.jpg20180225_131316.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Back before 409's, I had an extensive gun collection. And being to old crow that I am, if it's shiny and pretty, I want it!...... One seldom finds these old 03's that have not been arsenal reworked several times. This is a 1905 receiver that was re-barreled probably right after WW1 during the massive rebuild that occurred when these rifles were refurbished and returned to stores after the War. This guns screams of being untouched after the WW1 arsenal rebuild. The serial number is very low, and was originally single heat treated and considered to brittle to use modern ammo in today..... Gun has the original straight bolt and rare original stock. As far as I can tell, the magazine cut-off, barrel and serrated butt was the only items replaced during the rebuild.

At any rate, a good sales item to further "the project":) Nice piece of US history.

View attachment 59687View attachment 59692View attachment 59688View attachment 59689View attachment 59690View attachment 59691
Phil never sent money?

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My dad bought one of these from a surplus store years ago for almost nothing then had it sporterized, we still have it in the family

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Love it. I don't have any of the WW1, WW2, etc. weapons, however I have collected bayonets from them and Franco Prussian war.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have two of those 1903’s that have been sporterized. One I traded some sbc parts for and the other my grandpa did. The one my grandpa made he requested to always stay with a male in the family so it is nice and safe in my gun cabinet.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My Winchester is a long rifle shot in very good condition got for a Christmas present from my dad when I was still in lower grade school. Don't plan on selling ,just jiving. My brother has a very old 22short hex barrel and he won't sell either, more sentimental value to us .My son is into guns so he will get mine when I kick that bucket. :thud:D

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Dennis knows I like to tell stories....when I was in the 4 the grade I did chores to save enough money to buy a new single shot Winchester. Had to save quite a while to get the $12. We lived on the edge of a small town in western Kansas. Folks allowed me to go hunting twice a week. Jack rabbits were plentiful. You could sell your rabbits at the feed store for dog food...for 15 cents. A box of long rifles cost 50 cents. The trick was to sell enough rabbits to buy ammunition. Good times!

When my younger son got to be 10 or 12 I gave the gun to him...seemed right. 15 or 20 years later I got to missing my gun and asked if he would consider giving it back..."not a chance"!!! I had to buy another to fill the void. What was once a $12 gun was now $160!!

My granddaughter now has the $12 Winchester

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looks like a lot of high rollers here. I used a bow and arrow my first few years of hunting. I got to shoot ground squirrels and birds with the 22 at Grandpa's. Then, for my 14th birthday I got a single shot 20ga. Friggin awesome. I sold rabbits for a quarter to buy ammo until I bought my Lee hand loader. Great times..... good memories.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes I hunted a lot living on the farm. Got where I could hit rabbits on the run . My mixed police dog would go crazy when I walked out of the house with rifle in my hand's ,he knew he was getting a meal . Cat's liked that too. I mentioned this one other time here ,but I actually brought down a pheasant on the rise straight from me with a single shot in the head. I just lead him a little and down he came ,no running away for him.