Up and running

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Started the engine up today without much effort. Only glitch was throwing the belt off the PS pump. Ran it 30 minutes on single springs and leaky exhaust. Started up and ran after about 10 cranks. I pressurized the fuel cell and had the carbs all adjusted on another engine before placing them on mine. Change the oil, add the inner springs and weld the exhaust pipes and I'm off for a drive. In the first pic the only clue that it is running is the blur of the fan. Never went over 150 degrees. Oil stayed at 60 psi at 2000 rpm. Thanks to all for the input through out the preceeding months.

Attachments

• running.JPG
    running.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 125
  • gauges.JPG
    gauges.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 91

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
WOW! that's pretty! Good work, and I'm glad you had no issues. :clap Can't wait to meet you at Clay City.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Congratulations models, Pre-running the carbs was great preperation. Its no wonder you didnt have many issues. Looking forward to seeing you in Clay City.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Thats a great looking engine, models.:clap I'm sure it will run as awesome as it looks. Skip :)

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I swear I could hear it runnin. Nice real nice. Looks like your in for a lota fun. Nice pics of the guages and all the dash nobs. :clap

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
fixing the issues

Must have ding'd the PS pulley on installation. Was bent and thus whipped the belt off. I bought a new pulley from Spector that had a different attaching nut on the front. Well, that nut was clipping the fan blade. I installed a 1" spacer on the fan to fix both problems. Front carb float level a touch to high, fixed that easily. Trans lines leaking were fixed with new screw clamps. I installed the inner valve springs with an air compressor and hand tool. Worked great on the engine while on the stand, but in the engine bay the #7 cyl. was a *****. Close to the master cyl. I kept dropping the keepers under the car and had to retrieve them with a magnet. Question to all out there. Sanderson Headers says no gasket needed between the flange and head. Welded and ground true on the port opening and the bolt holes which are also slotted. What do you think? I have other exhaust leaks now so I cant tell if they are leaking or going to leak later. No gasket now. Just looking to head off trouble later. Opinions please.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
models, Headers that require no gaskets. Wow, thats what Ive always dreamed of. Never used Sanderson before, but if that works out to be true, I might have to try them. Glad you got the little bugs worked out. Let us know how the rest goes.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not a Chance

Just pulled the headers off to check for leaks. I see black soot marks where exhaust is leaking out of exhaust port. I will install a header gasket tomarrow. Very slight leak, may have needed to be cranked down harder or needed some high temp silicone sealer.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looking good!

Models, she is looking just fine!
Glad to hear that you'll be cruising along this summer, just as soon as you sort things out. Sure is fun, isn't it? Makes we want to start another project :).

Cheers,
TomK